Thread: Error "ntoskrnl.exe" When I start Vista.

Error "ntoskrnl.exe" When I start Vista.

I am running Windows XP and Vista on my notebook and I started to get the below problem when installing Service Pack 1 of Vista:

Windows failed to start. A resent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1.Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2.Choose your language settings ,and then click "Next".
    3.Click "Repair your Computer".

File :ntoskrnl.exe
    Info :Windows failed to load because a required file is missing or corrupt.

Can anyone suggest me some solutions to fix this issue? Thanks

Re: Error "ntoskrnl.exe" When I start Vista.

Even I had the same problem but I fixed it easily. You need to close all the apps running and then shut down any antivirus software that you have. After that download the standalone 5 language Service Pack 1 version from the Microsoft website for Vista. After that boot your system with the Vista Operating System CD and perform a repair install, check here for same - http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/w...sked-questions , after that when the repair install is over you can run the downloaded Service Pack 1 on your computer.

Re: Error "ntoskrnl.exe" When I start Vista.

This problem can occur for many different reasons. However, the following reasons are the most common:
    1. You already have the service pack installed and do not realize it.
    2. You must install another update before you can install the service pack.
    3. You have not installed Service Pack 1 (SP1) and therefore you are not being offered the option to install Service Pack 2 (SP2). SP2 requires you to have SP1 installed.

To resolve this problem, follow the method given on this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

You can try to use the repair process to correct inconsistencies in the Boot.ini file. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer using the three Windows NT Setup diskettes. When prompted, type R to begin the repair process.
    2. Insert the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) in the floppy drive when you are prompted.
    3. When prompted, enable only the Inspect Startup Environment option to correct inconsistencies in the Boot.ini file.
    4. Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the repair process.