Thread: Cannot install office 2007 due to a 1402 error: the registry key..

Cannot install office 2007 due to a 1402 error: the registry key..

Whenever i am trying to install Office Professional Plus 2007 on my system running windows vista ultimate then i am getting below error message:

Microsoft Office Porfesional Plus 2007 encountered an error during setup.

Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key
    UNKNOWN\.wll\Word.Addin.8\ShellNew. Verify that you have sufficient
    [ermission to access the registry. (Paraphrase on the rest) Contact
    Microsoft for help

Is there anyone who can help??

re: Cannot install office 2007 due to a 1402 error: the registry key..

Try out this and see if you are getting any help:
    • Go into the registry and check out for the key stated in error code.
    • Once you get it Right click on it and click on permissions. If you get a prompt saying "You do not have
    • permission" then simply click on "OK"
    • Now when you get "permissions box" then click on advanced button > owner tab > Select your pc under
    • "change name to" and click on apply button/OK.
    • Doing that will give you required permission, so now add required details like pc name,administrator, system to the group ,user names box and check mark full control and read boxes for all of them.
    • When you are done with all these changes, save then exit the window and try installing Office Professional Plus 2007 again.

Hope that helps.

You can try running Office 'Setup' file from the installation media as administrator or by logging in with administrator profile. If that doesn't makes any difference then try disabling UAC and proceed with the installation. I think one of these solutions should defenitely help you out.

RE: Cannot install office 2007 due to a 1402 eroor: the registry k

I have tried out both registry as well as UAC tricks but those things are just not making any difference and i am still getting that error message while installing Office Professional Plus 2007. There is something wrong going on with my system but i am not able to make out what, i have tried installing Professional Plus 2007 on other working vista and i did not came across any such errors. Is there anything else that i need to check out? I am just running out of ideas currently. So any help to get rid of this error will be appreciated.

Re: Cannot install office 2007 due to a 1402 eroor: the registry k

I wanted to know if you have tried disabling all non-essential services from msconfig except windows installer? If not then try disabling them, reboot your system and try installing Professional Plus 2007 after that. If it gets installed then you can reactivate those services later. I am not sure but i think there is some non-essential service running in background and interfering with installation of office 2007. So just try out what Ive suggested and post back the response you get.

Re: Cannot install office 2007 due to a 1402 eroor: the registry k

That's not working either, i have now disabled all non Microsoft services in my system and have carried out the installation but no luck. I can still reproduce same error easily, i have gone through similar threads in other forum but i haven't come across a single effective solution. Ive just come across more and more people facing same issue. I will continue my search but until then if any of you come across any solution that might help then do share it here, Thanks in advance.

Hey you can install below fix it tool for removing office program completely and reinstall the office package after that.
    How to uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if you cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?