Thread: CD/DVD drive device driver missing error while installing Windows Vista

CD/DVD drive device driver missing error while installing Windows Vista

I am not able to install Windows Vista Home Pro on my system. Whenever I try to do the same I am getting a error on my screen related to CD/DVD driver missing. I am using XP and plan to get Vista. The DVD drive is working well on XP and it can read all my cd's. But this error appear only when I am trying to install Vista from scratch. How can I load the driver separately.

Hey - I have exactly the same problem as you... did you every find a way to sort it out. To anyone reading this thread - please could you help me also. I have just completed a new build and am attempting to install vista ultimate 64bit. I am setting up a 3 drive raid0 array and my dvd drive uses an sata connection. During installation just after I select the language the message "a required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, cd dvd or usb flash drive please insert it now" appears. I can't get past this point as I don't know what driver it wants. My current plan is to try an older ide dvd drive which i can do on friday... But if anyone has any ideas please help!

Specs:
    MOBO: DFI lanparty x38-t2r
    Q6600
    4gb g.skill 1066mhz
    dvd - samsung sh-203n
    hd 4870 crossfire
    3X 500gb samsung spinpoint f1's
    creative xtreme gamer sound card
    (all at stock)
    Update - after fiddling around I changed the ide controller from raid mode to AHCI setting and vista did boot up properly but the raid array was destroyed. I think the whole thing is to do with setting up raid with an sata dvd drive involved?

I was able to see series of this kind of threads which put similar highlight. This happens a number of time when Vista does not comes with old drives driver. Yes you can use the usb device to load the drivers. But I am not sure about the options available in Vista. You can give a try for the same.

re: CD/DVD drive device driver missing error while installing Windows Vista

I am facing this issue with Nvidia Chipset. I had downloaded the most recent chipset drivers. I have kept the SATA/RAID driver separately with me also. I am not really sure about the issue that I am facing. I cannot install Vista. I am using nLite to slipstream vista setup and adding the drivers in it. I will update if this worked.
    Last edited by DigitalPrimate; 20-10-2009 at 08:56 PM.

I am having a Dell Inspiron laptop. I am getting the same message while using Vista disc to install this OS. I thought it would be the cable issue so changed it. But still the issue is intact. I think you must check your system specs first and then verify the same with Vista. This OS might need some kind of drivers to configure a proper installation.