Thread: RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?

RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?

I have a computer which I am trying to setup with Raid 0 on Windows Vista 64 bit operating system but I am facing some kind of problem. I have setup 2 Raid 0 partitions with the 2 Sata drives that I am using with Intel's Matrix Storage Manager. So when I start to load Vista for installation then I get some kind of a message at the bottom that says "...computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." I then go into the BIOS setting and then configure the Sata drive as Raid but again if I continue the installation then I get a message "Windows cannot find a drive that is suitable for installation". Can anyone telll me what should I do next?

Re: RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?

If you want to install Windows Vista on Raid that is setup in the pc's BIOS, you need to get a software implemented Raid and you should enter the proper settings in the BIOS setup. After that you must load the drivers for the Raid when installing the Vista OS. It seems to me that you have done the proper BIOS setup but not done the second method which I have told you. After that when you will boot from the Vista DVD then do it carfully so that you can point in the setup where you get the option to load the Raid drivers from floppy, usb drive or any other suitable media.

Re: RAID 0 Setup on Vista x64 Home Premium?

Even I was facing same problem in my Vista system. I had 2 hard drives in Raid 0 and of the hard drive was non-raid. So, since you are using only 2 hard drives, in the Vista installation where it ask you which drive to install vista on, then parition the raid drive at that point and then click new and it will make it primary drive, after that shut down the computer and then boot to DVD and when you get to the same point again, the message will be gone and Vista has the raid drives on the installation DVD, it will just get loaded as soon as Vista comes up and you can update your raid drivers then. Hope this helps.

So it seems like Vista doesnt have the inbuilt drivers for all Raid implementations. This usually sucks.