Thread: Vista partition is not a system partition

Vista partition is not a system partition

On one of the drive partitions I have installed Vista and after some time it got corrupted, so therefore I installed another version on a different partition and different drive as well and then delete the first vista installation. Vista is not working properly on the other parition without any issues. But when I check in the disk management then I am able to see that the old vista partition's status is showing "Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)" and on the other hand my working Vista partition is showing "Healthy (Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)", so this means that the second one is not a system partition and becuase of this I am not able to format the old vista partition. I even tried to disable the disk at startup and booted with Vista DVD but that didnt help either. Any ideas?

Re: Vista partition is not a system partition

The default was to install Windows Vista is to have the system files and boot files on seperate partitions and drive and also they can be both installed on the same partition. Incase you delete or remove the old drive then Vista will not boot at all since no system files will be available. You will be also able to use bcdedit or some third party boot manager such as VistaBootPro to correct this issue.

I have found a fix for this problem, you have to unplug all the hard drives except the one which you want to boot from and that also has Vista installed on it. After that you can try to boot from the Vista CD 2 times and then run repair to get Vista to recognize that there was no boot sector and it will write one therefore. Try to boot a couple of times from without the CD to make sure that everything is working fine and then reconnect the other drives. If you go into the Disk Management then you will see that the older drive is not identified as a boot drive.