Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot

Vista Setup and Install

Old 14-01-2008

Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot

I have a desktop running with Windows Vista 64 bit since a year. So far it was with 4GB RAM. Yesterday night I added more 4GB and after that when I restarted the computer, I got the following error message:

"The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

System was not booting at all. I thought Repairing the system may fix the problem but when I start the system repaire with Vista installation disk, it says there is no problem.

Any idea what can I do now?

Old 14-01-2008

Re: Upgraded RAM - System Won't Boot

Did you check the RAM compatibility with your system before buying? What is the model/Manufacturer? Also did you check connecting it in any other system to check if the RAM sticks are not faulty? If all these things are OK, then open your Cabinet, remove your older 4GB RAM and try booting the system with just the newly added 4GB sticks. See if the system is booting up.
Old 14-01-2008

Try removing the sticks, clean it with soft cloth, and reseat it back. Also note even bad RAM can easily cause checksum corruption reports, you might want to run a RAM tester, and/or test each set of 4GB individually.
Old 14-01-2008

Thank you for all your help guys. Even one of my friends suggested me to run the Memory Diagnostics. I ran the same, though it dint found any problem, next time my system booted properly and Vista is detecting all RAM.
Old 14-01-2008

Hi

So does it only boot properly if you do Memory Diagnostics? Are all the
memory modules fitted securely? Does your board require a BIOS upgrade?

rob
Old 16-08-2008

ill throw this bit of info in there...

this message popped up on my dell tonight, and sure enough it was memory. One of my 2 2-gig chips had gone BAD. i can boot up with just the one good one, but if i put the second one in, or the bad one in alone, it gives that error, or flat wont even get past the DELL post screen.

try one chip at a time.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Tags: ,