Thread: Upgrade to Vista Ultimate - iastor.sys missing or corrupt

Upgrade to Vista Ultimate - iastor.sys missing or corrupt

I want to upgrade to Vista Ultimate from Vista Home Premium by using the upgrade disk but after the first restart the boot manager gives an error message saying that "Windows failed to load a critical system driver" and the file is \$Windows.~BT\Windows\system32\drivers\iastore.sys. It then tells me to put the install disk inorder to repair the corrupt OS. I have a Asus laptop that came only with a recovery CD that only has image of the hard drive I believe. So, is there any fix to this issue?

RE: Upgrade to Vista Ultimate - iastor.sys missing or corrupt

I think that the iastore.sys belongs to the Intel's Sata disk driver, if I am not mistaken. So, you can go to the intel site and then download the driver for it, when the setup asks to press F6 to add driver do so and then install the driver. I assume that Vista doesnt have that driver on default and it was probably added by the manufacturer that sold you the first version of Vista on your pc.

You can try to do An in-place upgrade which is the final alternative before you have to reinstall the operating system. Note that it takes the same amount of time to do the upgrade as to reinstall the operating system. Also, some of your customized Windows settings may be lost through this process. More information over here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099