Thread: Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Ultimate

Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Ultimate

I’ve a old desktop computer running with Windows XP which I wanted to upgrade to Vista. Hence I bought a full package of Windows Vista Ultimate version from Microsoft. When I tried installing (clean install) it on that old desktop, it failed many times. Yeah, I would have tried the setup more than 10 times, but every time it got failed. Hence I installed XP back and left it as it is.

Now I bought a new Gateway desktop that came already with Vista Home premium but as I have Ultimate CD with me, I tried upgrading it on this as well. First time when I ran the setup it got failed. After working out I found that it was because of the sound driver. I removed the same and tried again upgrading to ultimate but yet failed.

So I thought to do a clean install now hence removed the home premium and ran the setup but again it gets failed just before the final stage. Any idea what could be the reason? Is there something wrong with my Vista disk?

Re: Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Ultimate

As you said the gateway computer came pre-installed with Vista, then it is an OEM product and as far as I know OEM product use to come with lots of crap softwares installed including security features that we (normal people) don’t require at all. So I doubt there would be any such security suite installed on your system that is preventing the installation. Hence first try disabling all antivirus and firewalls and then run the setup again.

RE: Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Ultimate

I had a similar problem just couple of weeks ago, but I found a solution in this post Vista Installation freezes at Completing Installation stage. that worked me. Just check it.