Thread: How to COMPLETELY uninstall Norton in Vista

How to COMPLETELY uninstall Norton in Vista

I bought a desktop about 6 months which came pre-installed with Windows Vista and Norton Internet Security 2007. As I don’t like Norton at all, I tried removing it from Add and Remove. Later I also ran Norton Removal Tool to get rid of it completely. But still I was able to see many registry entries as well as files left on my system. Even my Vista Security center gives me message saying that there are 2 firewalls running on my system including one from Norton, still, even I removed it.

So can anyone please tell me how can I rid of Norton completely from this system without reformatting? Thanks in advance.

Re: How to COMPLETELY uninstall Norton in Vista

Even I’m facing the same problem since a month. I contacted Symantec to get some help, they sent me a very long process to remove these traces. I followed the same step by step but still the Windows Security Center says there are still 2 Firewalls running. Obviously one of them is Norton Firewall but I dint found any other Norton registry or files on my PC. Don’t know from where the firewall is left. Hope anyone can help us.

RE: How to COMPLETELY uninstall Norton in Vista

Norton has been always pain for me hence I don’t use it since years. As far as I know the only way to get rid of Norton and its traces completely is by doing clean re-format of your system. No matter you use Norton Removal Tool, still they leave their entries like a Virus.

If you don’t want to format the system and want to get rid of the same, you can give it a try by deleting Norton as well as Symantec folders from Program Files. And if yiuo have knowledge about REGISTRIES, then delete their entries as well from Regedit.

RE: How to COMPLETELY uninstall Norton in Vista

Thank you very much for the help Chapal but I have already done that. I deleted all of its folders and files. Even deleted its registry by running CCleaner and Registry Mechanic because I don’t have registry knowledge and obviously don’t wanted to mess up by deleting any other key. But still the problem exists.

As far as Reformatting is concerned I only I got the OEM recovery discs with my laptop and i guess if I run that CD, it will again restore Norton like I got the laptop. So any other way please?

Re: How to COMPLETELY uninstall Norton in Vista

Try using the Norton removal tool. It helped my friend who had a similar problem.

You can download it from the following address:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe