Thread: Windows Easy Transfer (migwiz) hangs on install to source machine (XP)

Windows Easy Transfer (migwiz) hangs on install to source machine (XP)

I am running Windows Vista on a new computer that I have bought recently. I have networked it in my home network. I also have an old computer which is running on Windows XP Service Pack 2 which is also on the same network. I just want to transfer settings by using the Windows Easy Transfer but if I am installing migwiz on windows xp computer then it will simply hang. No matter what I do, it will neither install on Vista or in XP machine. Does anyone has any idea what is wrong with it? Thank you

RE: Windows Easy Transfer (migwiz) hangs on install to source machine

Did you create the Wizard onto the CD using Windows Easy Transfer on the Vista machine that you have? After that you took the same CD to your XP machine and loaded it? Now, can you tell us what did you see on the screen after doing all the things? Also, you should not kill any task from task manager, but you can simply close any open application if you want. Incase if there are any failures then you can go to the following directory on XP and look for the file called setupact.log located here - \\Documents and Settings\<userprofilename>\Local Settings\Application Data\MigWiz and post the last several lines of the log.

Can't Install Windows Easy Transfer on XP machine

First of all check the below system requirements of Windows Easy Transfer and then only install it:

System requirements

Windows Easy Transfer supports the following operating systems:
    1) Windows XP (SP2 and higher) to Windows 7
    2) Windows Vista (SP1 and higher) to Windows 7

Windows Easy Transfer supports transfers using any of the following methods:
    1) USB Easy Transfer Cable
    2) Network connection
    3) Removable media (such as a USB flash drive or external hard disk)

After you have made sure that you have done everything of the above then, download Windows Easy Transfer from here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/downl...s.aspx?id=4503

RE: Windows Easy Transfer (migwiz) hangs on install to source mach

I think that you have not installed the current security updates in your computer and that is why you are unable to install Windows Easy Transfer. So to install the latest microsoft updates, just go to the Microsoft Update website to turn on automatic updates. If you've already got automatic updating turned on, Windows Update in Control Panel will open and show your update status. If it's not yet turned on, you'll be guided through the steps to do so. After that, all the latest security and performance improvements will be installed on your PC quickly and reliably.