Thread: Vista "Repair Install" Are Installed Programs Preserved?

Vista "Repair Install" Are Installed Programs Preserved?

I have checked out many articles that the Vista equivalent of an XP Repair Install is to boot from the DVD and then choose the upgrade to install Vista over itself. I have some kind of problems with the USB mass storage devices on one of the Windows Vista installation and have already tried to delete the INFCACHE.1 but that has not worked for me. So, I guess that reinstalling the Vista OS would be the only fix for this issue. But I was wondering if I use the upgrade install then will all the software that I have installed in my computer remain intact?

There are no guarantees as usual because it is a Windows OS. But in any case you can try to boot from the DVD and then run the Windows Recovery Environment and then use the same tools there to first recover the system that you own. After that you can try to do a reinstall of the Operating System to solve the problem and you should do a clean install instead of the upgrade install.

Well, either doing a Repair install or a Upgrade install of the Operating System, it is possible that anything could happen and you may lose the important data and files from your computer in the end. So what you can do is download a tool called Acronis True Image which is a completely new backup software. It has the latest synchronization technology which is called the cloud storage. It is also compatible with new devices. Acronis True Image protects your photos, documents, music, email, schedules, contacts, calendars and more.