Thread: Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT

Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT

Last week I bought a new Dell laptop that came pre-installed with Windows Vista 64bit. Later when I tried connecting my Telstra internet connection, I was getting some problem. I called up the ISP and he said that these connection wont support 64bit Vista. Hence I got a 32bt Vista DVD from the vendor and now need you guys help for some questions.

What I need to know is can I install both 64bit and 32bt Vista on two separate partitions on the same laptop? Also do I need to physically modify boot files? Please help. I don’t want to mess with the originally installed 64bit OS. Thank you.

Re: Dual Boot Vista Ultimate 64-BIT & 32-BIT

Did you bought a separate 32bit DVD? I mean with separate license key? If yes then its fine and if no, then you cant install both OS together. As you said your vendor gave you the CD, I doubt they might have given you 32bit OS for the same product key that is already installed. So if you will dual boot it, it will work for maximum 30 days and later you will need to uninstall any one from them.

As far as internet connection is concerned, did you tried connecting the Internet on this laptop and got some error about the compatibility? If there was any error, you should have posted that error here.

Thank you very much for your help Wooody. The 32bit DVD I received was with separate license key. By the way, in these two days I already installed it on my second partition and is working fine. But a new problem raised, that is am no more able to boot the 64bit edition after install the 32bit. What can I do now?

Are you sure you installed the second version on separate partition? I doubt because if you changed the installation folder to D or E drive, instead of C, then both systems should work fine. Just make sure that you leave the 64bit version as the factory "C:Windows.