Thread: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?

Can't print from Dos program within Vista?

I am using a Rbase program from longtime. I had upgraded my system to Windows Vista. Everything is working fine except the printing. I use to print from dos in XP. The printer I am using is HP960c Inkjet printer. But in Vista the same print command is not working at all. I had also tried to print by using LPT1 command and the printer name. But that too does not work at all. The printer is shared and all the users on the network owns permission to use it.

It can be issue with printer configuration. The system is not able to find the printer through command prompt. I will recommend you to work more on the same by trying some more ports.You can map the network resource through microsoft loopback adapter. It allows your map resource to stay connected always. Windows XP is less complicated on all this stuff.

If you are running the command I hope you are doing that in administrator mode. Other user profile comes with limited rights. Try to right click on cmd and choose run as administrator. This is one the easiest way to run print is admin mode. I a here using net use lpt1\name of computer\printer. This maps the printer. Lpt1 sends the files to printer. It looks issue with configuration only.

I am having the every same problem that Wizard had who started this thread. The thread seems to have stopped in June 2007 without finding a solution. I also have a computer (Notebook) without a Parrallel Port runing Vista. The printer is a USB Printer which I have shared. I can use the NET USE LPT1 \\server_name\printer_share_name command to map the LPT Port to a Shared Printer I can send data to the printer using either of the following commands :
    • COPY TEXTFILE.TXT LPT1
    • TYPE TEXTFILE.TXT > LPT1

However if I try to print to the printer from my application it fails. I expect that the application is checking the status of the Port and this is failing. The application runs fine under Windows XP. I had already checked what Ports are listed in Device Manager and there are NO Ports listed - not even COM Ports. This is not that unusual with newer Notebook Computers that dod not have ANY physical Ports - either COM or Parallel. Any other ideas?

It is better if you can test the printer by connecting it directly to your system. And see whether it works in dos mode or not. I think the system fails to identify the printer connectivity due to which you are getting the issue.

Re: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?

after reading all these, i found a program called "printfil". you can get it on downloads.com it basically does a printscreen for the file you print and lets you print from the program. it solved my problem. hope this helps

Re: Can't print from Dos program within Vista?

I had the same problem, and running the dos application in "windows XP SP2 compatability mode" solved it.