Thread: Uninstall Norton Internet Security program

Uninstall Norton Internet Security program

I have bought a new pc that came with Norton Internet Security Program Trial Version. I have removed it from my computer but still in the Security Centre the Norton Internet Security is appearing in Windows Firewall and internet options, so it seems to me that it is still not completely removed from my computer. After that I was trying to install the Symantec antivirus corporate edition software but the installation failed and I got the error message ""Error 1920 Service Symantec antiVirus failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services". I am on the admin account so I wonder what system services are needed to be enabled? Please help.

Re: Uninstall Norton Internet Security program

There is a tool called Norton Removal Tool that you can download from here. Norton Removal Tool is a program to uninstall properly and permanently Norton products on your machines. At first this application appears to have limited value, since in most cases, you can simply uninstall the software from Add / Remove Programs in XP or Programs and functionality under Vista. But in some situations Norton products no longer seem to be uninstalled and then you can try this tool to list all the norton products in your computer and remove it immediately.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have installed the Symentec Antivirus on my computer and it installed properly for the first time but soon after that I had some infection due to Internet Explorer usage and also because the auto protect was disabled by me. After that I installed SUPER AntiSpyware and ten removed the issue and also removed the Symantec antivirus but now I am not able to reinstall it again. I have also used the Symantec Cleanup Ultility but still the Norton Internet Security is till left in the Security Centre. So do you have any other suggestions to fix this issue? Thanks.

You can try to remove Symantec AntiVirus from the registry as well:

On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
    In the Open box, type the following text:

regedit
    Click OK.
    Expand the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features

This key contains many <Package Code> keys.

Click each <Package Code> key, and look in the right pane for references to SAVMain.
    If you see any references to SAVMain in the right pane, then delete the entire <Package Code> key.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products

Click each <Package Code> key, and look in the right pane for references to Symantec AntiVirus.
    If you see any references to Symantec AntiVirus in the right pane, then delete the entire <Package Code> key.

Delete the following key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\LDVPMenu

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products

Expand each <Package Code> key, and then click the InstallProperties key.
    If you see any references to Symantec AntiVirus in the right pane, then delete the entire <Package Code> key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Click each <Package Code> key, and look in the right pane for references to Symantec AntiVirus.

Delete the following keys if they exist:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes\20A7FB42A06BB49448A397B3CB77ED4D
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\DllUsage\VP6
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\20A7FB42A06BB494 48A397B3CB77ED4D

Have you tried to stop Symantec AntiVirus services and then tried to uninstall and then reinstall the antivirus, for same follow the below steps:
    You must stop the following services before you remove items from the registry, the Start menu, or the hard drive.
    • SavRoam
    • Symantec AntiVirus
    • DefWatch
    • ccEvtMgr
    • ccSetMgr

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
    2. In the Open box, type the following text:
      services.msc
    3. Click OK.
    4. For each of the following services, right-click the name of the service, and then click Stop:
      SavRoam (if running)
      Symantec AntiVirus
      DefWatch
      ccEvtMgr
      ccSetMgr

You can also download and install Windows Installer CleanUp Utility that will cleanup all the junk uninstalled files from your computer. This utility is designed to remove installation information for programs that were added using Windows Installer. It cleans the installation files so that you can start again the installation, upgrade or cancel. You can download the same by searching it on google.