Thread: Sysprep window appears after each reboot

Sysprep window appears after each reboot

I have installed System Preparation Tool in my system and since installing it i am getting its window pops up. When i click on cancel then it goes away and when i click on "ok" then it results in fatal error. I wanted to know if there is a way by which i can get rid of System Preparation Tool window pops up reinstalling vista?

You don't have to uninstall it for getting rid of its pop up rather you just have to delete its entry from startup folder. For checking out startup folder go to start click on run and type "msconfig" without quotes, in next window check out for "sysprep.exe" and delete it. You wont get the same pop- up again, just make sure that you logging in as admin and rebooting your system after deleting the entry so that it can take effect.

I tried following the solution you have mentioned but i am not able to find out sysprep after using msconfig command. I have checked out for startup folders in search and came across two of them but they are empty. I have searched for sysprep and have found a file called sysprep.bat in c:\windows\system32\sysprep but i dont know what Ive to do with it. Further help regrading this issue will be appreciated.

I was running in to similar issue some weeks ago, i have tried out almost all possible solution like checking RegEdit, msconfig, Services for a entry related to it but i wasn't able to find it out anywhere. I had gone through several forums and some people had suggested me to reinstall vista, at that time i had kept that option as my last option but later when i dint got any luck with the solutions that i came across i simply reinstalled vista and i was surprised to see "sysprep.exe" in start-up folder. Since deleting it i am not getting its pop- ups anymore. I will suggest you to try out the same until you don't mind it. If you want then you can try doing system restore but i am not sure if that would make any difference. I doubt if there is anything else you will be able to try out further rather than system restore and reinstalling windows.

Re: Sysprep window appears after each reboot

I realise this thread is pretty old and although this won't help the OP it may be of assistance if like me you are having this issue.

Scenario: you run System Restore and afterwards Sysprep 3.14 pops up on the desktop as Vista loads. If you select to run the OOBE or any of the other options Sysprep runs and then gives a fatal error.

This seems to be (as already suggested) because System Restore does not complete, I think in my case because the local admin account had been disabled.

The following seems to fix the issue -

start - regedit

Go to HKLM - System - Setup

Check the following keys:
    Setup Type
    SetupPhase
    OOBEInProgress
    CmdLine

In my case these keys all had values. I blanked out the CmdLine value, and set the other keys to 0. Rebooted and have not had the Sysprep issue since.

Usual warnings regarding careless registry editing apply, hope this helps.

Hi I been seching for a solution to my issue with vista sysprep OOBE I called hp support a couple of times with no luck I chatted with hp they insisted to take back my laptop to repair.The thing is I follow all that you said the only thing is I deleted by mistake my admin accout but I solve in save mode.No wonder why they doesn't help you with the trouble shuting.English is my second languge sorry for any ortografic mistakes you the best.jajaja

Excellent fixed the issue thank you

This works yes, but what if you're trying to use this sysprep image to deploye to several pcs after the fact. I cannot delete these values in the keys on all 250 pcs. Why do you think this is popping up still and is there a way to disable it from popping up?