Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

VISTA BOOT FROM DVD PROBS

Vista Setup and Install

Old 14-03-2007

Vista Boot From Dvd Probs

I am trying to boot Windows Vista OEM installation CD on ASUS Pundit PE2 motherboard but it will not boot. I am able to load Windows XP on the same board but if I am trying to boot vista then I dont even get the options to 'press any key to boot from cd' option. I have got the DVD of Windows Vista, so is that anything to do with the problem, although I have got a DVD drive on the board already. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 14-03-2007

Re: VISTA BOOT FROM DVD PROBS

Can you try to use the DVD drive to boot the Vista Disk which is mentioned by you that its a DVD? Just go into Bios setting and then put the first priority to boot from dvd.
Old 16-03-2007

Incase a normal bootable disk is inserted in the dvd drive then it should work the same way as a normal Cd drive. Can you tell us whether its the same optical drive each time and bootable from the CD but not the DVD? Did you even make sure that it reads the DVD in the drive when you boot up in Windows XP. I think that there are 2 lasers in a DVD drive and out of them one is used for reading CD and the other one is used for reading DVD, so if it is not able to read the DVD then perhaps the DVD laser has died. You have to replace the dvd drive I am afraid.
Old 16-03-2007

Thanks for the suggestions but the dvd is working fine and is running properly in Windows XP. Can you provide any other suggestion?
Old 17-03-2007

Have you tried any other bootable DVD of Windows Vista and see if that is working? This will make you realize whether the old Vista DVD is faulty or not and if not then it could be something that might be related to the dvd drive itself. Do you get any kind of error message when trying to boot from the old Vista DVD?
Old 17-03-2007

The problem that you are facing may occur for one of the following reasons:
  1. The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows Vista.
  2. You uninstalled CD software that does not correctly remove itself in the registry.
  3. You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters.
To resolve this issue follow the steps given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Tags: