Thread: Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria

Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria

I am using Windows XP Pro. I am had bought a Vista Ultimate Upgrade DVD. I want to dual boot my system. But if I go with the upgrade, XP will be wiped out. Just to test I begin with clean installation. I had created a separate partition for Vista only. But there is no option available in Upgrade DVD. I cannot choose the partition. Is there a way by which I can still keep my XP partition as it is and install Vista on the same. Thanks.

For a dual boot system you need standalone installation disc of Vista. It is not going to work with upgrade disc I think and there is no option available in that through which you can install Vista is separate partition. I will recommend you to upgrade XP and if you do not like Vista you can simply install Windows XP back in separate partition.

Upgrade only works on existing installed Windows. It will not help you to get a fresh installation on separate disc. You have to buy a dvd that offers you completely installation from scratch. You just purchased a upgrade disc. It is right that you can upgrade and if you do not like you can install Windows XP one more time in the separate partition.