Thread: Vista install on External Hard Drive

Vista install on External Hard Drive

I am using Windows XP on my computer and want to install Vista on it. I have made a new partition on my external hard drive and when I started to install vista then I was getting some message when choosing a partition and doing a clean install that said "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu". Can anyone help me out with this problem. Thanks for any solutions.
    Last edited by jammiedodger546; 19-12-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Re: Vista install on External Hard Drive

I dont think so that will be possible, because windows wont install on an external usb hard drive and you should be getting that error message for sure in that case. I guess that the only external hard drives on which Windows could be installed are eSata because they are not really external in the proper sense.

I dont know whether this will work or not but you can give it a shot. Try to install Vista to a partition on your computer's hard drive and then use Acronis or some similar software to clone the installation to the external drive. I guess that many of the new computer's bios has the ability to support booting a USB. Hope it will do for you as well.