Thread: If you have a black screen or a blinking cursor at first boot

If you have a black screen or a blinking cursor at first boot

If anyone gets a black screen or a blinking cursor at first boot then they can refer below steps for fixing it.

• Simply Reboot your system,enter Bios set up utility and make sure that you are having below setting there:
      1. APIC is enabled
      2. ACPI is enabled
      3. MPS table 1.1 or 1.4 is selected
      4. On-board video is disabled ( If available)
      5. Quick/fast boot is disabled

• Once you have set these things then save it and simply reboot your system. Upon reboot when your system has recognized hard drive then hit F8 and choose safe mode with networking.
    • You should now see system loading line by line ending up in Safe mode. If you get a message saying that you wont be able to continue because setup was not completed then hit Shift-F10. Now you will get command prompt windows, so just type "devmgmt.msc" without quote and then you will be able to view Device manager.
    • Now check out for the video card in Device manager and if you find it having exclamation mark, indicating that its driver has not been installed then install it. Once video card driver gets installed, close Device manager window and click "ok" for the previous warning saying "setup was not completed".

Once you have completed all of the above steps your will boot up fine without a black screen or a blinking cursor.

RE: If you have a black screen or a blinking cursor at first boot

Hey BobTurner thanks for sharing that, i was running in to same issue and your solution was a life saver for me. I have made a restore point to be at the safer side and will suggest others to do the same as well.

Re: If you have a black screen or a blinking cursor at first boot

Thank you so much man! Found this on Google, made an account just to say thanks!

I'm having the black screen blinking cursor problem and I don't know anything about BIOS. I was able to make sure the ACPI was enabled but I can't figure out where to look at settings for MPS table or to make sure my on-board video is disabled. Can anyone help? (I'm running Windows Vista.)

See as soon as you enter bios you will be getting many options and MPS table is one of them. It is a settings for multi processor system, older operating systems used an older version of MPS 1.1 and the new operating systems are using the latest version 1.4. Since you are having a windows vista operating system, 1.4 version is the recommended version for you.

Now in case if you are poor in handling BIOS related work then take some help o your friend who is technically sound.

So i found this thread after googling endlessly and it was in a comment from another board. I have the same problem not with vista but with windows 7. I cannot even enter BIOS, it just takes me to the same blinking cursor screen that I would get if I let it try to boot up. Any suggestions?

Hello did you check this thread. if not then please check this and see if you are getting something useful for it or not. i am sure you will get proper solution from it.

Windows 7 64-bit on Bootcamp black screen/blinking cursor for ages pre-boot on MacBook Pro