Thread: Generic PnP Monitor and Windows Vista

Generic PnP Monitor and Windows Vista

I have got a Gateway FPD2185W monitor with me and when I am trying to install Vista 32 bit as well as Vista 64 bit then the monitor was identified in Device Manager as a Generic Plug and Play Monitor and I have not installed any Gateway software as well. When the final boot was done and at the initial display of the desktop the monitor was set to optimum resolution of 1680 x 1050 automatically and 60hz refresh rate. I then changed to 32 bits color depth which was set to 16 bits. I only got the EZ tune program and when I used it then it enabled the auto rotate feature and different input switching options. I did not get any icm color profiles and in the device manager the monitor is still identified as Generic Plug and Play monitor. I installed the correct driver for the nVidia 7600GS video card and then I got the correct max resolution of 1680 x1050. So, it seems that no specific Gateway FPD2185W.inf monitor file was needed to correct the max resolution of the monitor.

re: Generic PnP Monitor and Windows Vista

Well, that is all you could expect because you were using a video card and until the drivers for the card is not installed on the machine, then how can you expect to get the max resolution.

re: Generic PnP Monitor and Windows Vista

Have you tried getting the monitor driver from the manufacturer and then after installing it checked whether you were getting the max resolution or not? Normally, even without it, you need to install the graphics driver so that you can get it.