Thread: Vista "Boot Manager Missing"

Vista "Boot Manager Missing"

Hi all! I'm New to this forum and Vista and hope you fine people can help. I bought a rig second hand. The silly fellow forgot to wipe out his previous install of Vista. The rig came with one 250gb (D:) and one 80gb (C:) SATA HD's. I backed up quite a bit of info to the 80gb drive for use later. I placed the Vista Home Premium disc in, formated the larger (D:) drive and installed Vista. Everything seemed ok until it was time to reboot without the Vista disc. I get a BOOT MANAGER MISSING error after any restart. If i let it boot from Vista Disc, Windows works fine. From looking at a few tech forums, I believe Vista installed the boot manager to the wrong HD. When I tried using the Vista System Recovery tools, It shows windows being installed on drive (D:). Using the Vista disc to boot and looking at my desktop it shows Windows installed on (C:)!!! I'm not computer illiterate but I need someone to walk me thru this one like I am... :(
    Last edited by Necrophobic; 22-08-2008 at 01:02 AM.

RE: Vista "Boot Manager Missing"

As per your situation the only that come to my mind is you should first remove the 250GB drive from the rig. After doing this you will not have any operating system on this computer. So now you should install Windows Vista on your 80GB drive. Once done, now you can attach back your 250GB rig again. That it.

Re: Vista "Boot Manager Missing"

As the error is regarding the boot manager, you should insert your Vista installation disc in the DVD driver, select Repair Vista, select language and then select Boot Manager.

It will fix the Boot Manager and all related problems.

Re: Vista "Boot Manager Missing"

Follow these steps. Go to Start, type Disk Management. Under Disk management window just check which of your disk contains the System partition. If it is on the 250GB rig, then restart the computer, enter BIOS and set it to boot from that particular drive. I fit is on 80Gb driver then simply mark the primary partition on the 250GB drive as active and disconnect the 80GB drive from the board.