Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Is it possible to install Windows Vista on 256 MB RAM laptop

Vista Setup and Install

Old 06-01-2007

Is it possible to install Windows Vista on 256 MB RAM laptop

I want to know that does it is possible to install Windows Vista on a 256MB RAM laptop. I am having this old laptop which is on XP and I want to get rid of this old system. I want to use Vista and I do not have any other machine to test. I need some help to configure Vista on 256MB RAM and hope that it would work better. Are there any chances of getting Vista working on the same.

Old 06-01-2007

I do not think so. Windows Vista comes with some graphical affects. It might work but will lag a lot. You will need to disable a tons of features in it and somehow there is no option provided in the installation DVD. I will recommend you to buy one more stick of 256MB ram and add that in your computer. That is also not well enough. Also do not forget to find a proper Vista drivers for your laptop.
Old 08-01-2007

I had seen some information on Vista which says that it needs minimum 256MB ram. And I I would get a option to disable Aero like features then I hope this would be able to work. I too agree that Vista needs more ram to perform better. But there might be some kind of trimmed edition available on web. I had not yet removed Windows XP from my system. I just do not want to spoil the same completely. I am still keeping a close eye on the performance output and hope to get maximum out of it.
Old 29-05-2008

Install ALL Windows Vista Edition In 256 Ram

I will not recommend you to go for the same. You can test that on dual boot mode also. Just cleanup some space from the hard drive and perform the test. That is the best way to deal with it.
Old 03-06-2008

I had installed Vista on a old laptop. Luckily there was no popup message for minimum system requirement. But the system is very slow. It take times to load. I had disabled all the graphic options. You can try installing a Home Basic edition which comes with minimum features. Still I added a stick of 512RAM on my system and the performance is just improved and it is much better.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Tags: ,