Thread: Windows Vista installation Failure - cannot update boot configuration

Windows Vista installation Failure - cannot update boot configuration

I was installing Windows Vista RC1. It was working quiet fine but somehow after some while I got a error on the screen saying -- Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed. I am not able to understand why I got this error. It is a fresh installation I think and it would go well. Any ideas on it.

Go to bios and just check that any security settings are not turned on. Disable them. Like disable virus protection from bios and again try to run the setup. I am sure you are trying run RC1 update and then you got this error. Disable all the security software in your computer. Like the antivirus or any other stuff. Ensure that it works flawlessly and there would not be any other issue.

Is there a registry fix available for it. I am getting the same error and I found on some site people where discussing on some registry fix. What is the actually and where I can find it. I had tried to run the upgrade a number of times and each time it stuck on that error. Fortunately the system is working I can access the programs.

No there is no registry fix for this. There can be some internal application or updates which are causing this clash. The error is related to boot configuration. Is there any additional boot configuration software installed in your system. Like VistaBootPro. You must remove that completely and then check back. Are you trying to do that on a dual boot system. If yes then due to that your boot configuration file is not properly updated.

I can offer a small registry fix and hope that it might work. For that you have to modify the system registry so it is recommended that first you take a backup of the same. Click on Start > Run and type regedit. Hit enter. Go to File > Export. Save it somewhere. You can import this directly if you find any major error. Now go to the following in registry - HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Here just ensure that the upperfilter is empty. And check that upperfilter.back is available or not. Can remove .bak from the end. Restart your system and run the upgrade again.