Thread: dual boot but lost vista boot loader

dual boot but lost vista boot loader

I have dual boot Windows XP which is running on C: drive and Vista operating system running on d: drive which used to work fine. After quite a while I had some problem in the XP parition with some viruses and therefore had to format the c:drive and had to reinstall XP. So after running XP back on C:drive, somehow I lost the Vista bootloader on C: drive. So can anyone tell me how do I get to load the bootloader of Vista on C: without reinstalling it? Thanks

RE: dual boot but lost vista boot loader

I think that there is way to solve that by modifying the boot.ini file which is located on your C: drive. If you have 2 physical drives and that your boot.in file might not exactly reflect similar like mine which is:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /USEPMTIMER

So, you can try to add this line to it at the bottom:

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Incase you have only 1 physical drive with multi partition where x is the partition number, then add the below:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(X)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

You can always try remove the switches if you desire.

Even I was facing same problem. So to solve the issue I installed XP to reset the drive permissions and ownership which got rid of the new Boot selection. I then tried to edit the boot.in in Windows XP but the system on which I was working used to freeze up. So, in the end I inserted the Vista CD in my drive and then used the repair from the CD and it fixed the issue for me.