Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Winsxs folder in Windows Vista is really big

Vista Setup and Install

Old 30-01-2012

Winsxs folder in Windows Vista is really big

Guys can you all just imagine that this Winsxs folder is almost 11.01 gigs in my computer. I thought of deleting some content from the folder but on extensive searching in your forums I found out that by doing that it will cause some damage, so that’s why I did not go ahead with the deletion at all. The more I am going to install the programs the more it is going to expand, so just want to know what would be the safest thing to delete from the same folder. Please tell me.

Old 30-01-2012

Re: Winsxs folder in Windows Vista is really big

As far as i am aware of Winsxs folder is a system folder like system32 and all, good that you haven't deleted it but i cant think off a workaround in this situation, will post back if i came across any solution.
Old 30-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFFMast.ER View Post
Guys can you all just imagine that this folder is almost 11.01 gigs. I thought of deleting some content from the folder but on extensive searching in your forums I found out that by doing that it will cause some damage to the system, so that?s why I did not go ahead with the deletion at all. The more I am going to install the programs the more it is going to expand, so just want to know which would be the safes thing to delete from them. Please tell me.
You can do it with the help of a tool called as cleanup tool which is very useful to clean up all the components that is replaced in the WinSxS folder. This tool can remove upto 3GB of waste from the WinSxS folder. Here is how you can make use of it
1) Go to windows explorer and go to this following location C:\Windows\System32 inside that look out for the "vsp1cln.exe."
2) Right click on that file and select 'Run As Administrator' option.
3) It will start working and will delete all the unnecessary things.
So I hope that was useful for you.
Old 30-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baako View Post
You can do it with the help of a tool called as cleanup tool which is very useful to clean up all the components that is replaced in the WinSxS folder. This tool can remove upto 3GB of waste from the WinSxS folder. Here is how you can make use of it
1) Go to windows explorer and go to this following location C:\Windows\System32 inside that look out for the "vsp1cln.exe."
2) Right click on that file and select 'Run As Administrator' option.
3) It will start working and will delete all the unnecessary things.
So I hope that was useful for you.
Well the above tool only works if you have made any new installations in the system and incase if no such changes has been made then I don’t think that the tool will have any effect. If SP1 was already integrated into vista, then the tool will not give any effect.
Old 30-01-2012

Hi, if you can refer this link you will get all the information accordingly. Some members who were facing similar kind of issues have discussed and solved their issue in that thread.
Old 30-01-2012

I can find this problem only with windows vista and windows 7 and this is not the case with windows xp. I have noticed that my hard drive has gone and it is really depressing to see that there is no option for us to not make use of the Winsxs folder. Forcing needless redundancy is just a waste of resources, Microsoft better if you can scrap it off, that would be better.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Tags: , , , ,