Thread: Vista Ultimate 32bit Upgrade - STOP Error

Vista Ultimate 32bit Upgrade - STOP Error

I am trying to upgrade my system running on XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. The problem is that when i am rebooting my system with vista installation cd then installation process starts up fine but after system reboots in between the process i get a blue screen saying this:
    "A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer"
    STOP:0x0000007B (0x80599BB0 0xC0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000)

Is there anyone who can help me out fixing this?

Re: Vista Ultimate 32bit Upgrade - STOP Error

As far as i am aware STOP:0x0000007B (0x80599BB0 0xC0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000) refers to INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. In short you are getting that error because installation process is not able to access your system drive. I wanted to know if you were having all drivers installed for your system with xp? you should better boot in xp and check out if there is any missing driver. If you find any then install it and then proceed with upgrading process of vista. I also wanted to know how many drives are you having in your system? are you having then connected to stata or ide?

I will suggest you to first run MS Upgrade Advisory for Vista and find out if your machine is capable of running Vista. If it is and if you still face the same error then i will suggest you to make a clean installation of vista rather than installing it over xp. I prefer upgrade process for same operating system, i mean upgrading to higher version of vista from lower version of vista but for upgrading to vista from xp doing a clean installation will be a better idea. If you think that upgrading from one operating system to other wont affect your data then you are wrong, your save data will get surely get lost in that case.

I am having 2 drives in my system where one is connected to IDE and other to sata, i am upgrade the IDE drive. I have booted into xp and haven't found any missing drivers, to be at the safer side i have uninstalled antivirus and other security programs that i was using thinking that the might interrupt with up- gradation process. I dont mind doing a fresh installation but what if i get the same error again? i will loose all my data as well. Is there anything else that i can try out for installing vista without any data loss and error? Any further help regrading this issue will be appreciated.

Since you have mentioned that you are having two drives connected in your system where one is connected to IDE and other to sata. I will suggest you to remove the sata one if you are having xp installed in IDE drive. I am not sure but i think that combination of IDE and SATA might be creating some kind of conflict.So just try out the upgradation process once again with sata drive unplugged and see if you are getting lucky.

So now i have tried carrying out the upgradation process once again with sata drive unplugged but unfortunately i am getting same error message. I wanted to know if there can be anything wrong with ide hdd, I dont think so as it is working fine when i am booting in xp but i just want to clarify it.

It seems as if there is something wrong with driver and not drive, have you installed latest drivers for sata and ide drive? if not then install that first and see if that's making any difference. If that doesn't then you can try disabling SATA support from BIOS and try out up-gradation. If at all even that doesn't help then you can try switching the drive to SATA rather than ide and carry out the installtion. Just try out these things and post back the response you get for each of them, i think one of these trick should help you out, best of luck.

RE: Vista Ultimate 32bit Upgrade - STOP Error

Eyeon did you found a fix for this issue? i am getting same error when i am trying to reinstall vista. I have tried out the solution that have been mentioned here but no luck yet.

Two years later, this problem still exists. I'm running Vista Home SP2 (NL, Dutch).

Hard disk is OK! I check this automatically every few days. Re-checking confirms: hard disk is ok.

In this case, it is NOT a driver problem. The only thing I did before the reboot was removing Norton Internet Security - which failed so I rebooted. After the reboot, 0x0000007b (0x80699bb0, 0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000).

Sheit-norton : (

I'll post here if I find a work-around <sigh>.