Thread: Vista Cannot find Hard Drive

Vista Cannot find Hard Drive

I am trying to install Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit on my computer but i dont know for what reason my hard drive is not getting detected in the bios. I can boot from vista dvd and reach up to the task where it asks “Where do you want to Install Windows?" Since bios is not detecting my hard drive i am not getting any option for selecting drive. Can any one help me out?

Enter the Bios and setup on chip SATA Type to AHCI and connect your drive to SATA2_0 connector and see if your drive is getting recognized after that or not.

re: Vista Cannot find Hard Drive

Thanks for your suggestion, i have tried setting that up on chip SATA Type to AHCI and connecting my hard drive to SATA2_0 connector but then operating system was not loading after that. Currently i have connected it to a previous position and operating system is loading fine but i am not able to see my hard drive as an option when i am asked for installing Windows Vista. Is there anything else that i need to check out??

Before i suggest you anything further i wanted to know if you are having a updated bios or not? what do you see on the post screen after turning your system on? have you installed Sata driver? just let me know these things so that i can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing and will try to help you accordingly. I think that you have not installed drivers for your EIDE, SCSI, or SATA controller because of which bios is not able to recognize your drive. If it is so then you can press <F6> key at the start of Vista Setup for installing missing drivers for your hardware. Just try out what Ive suggested and post back if you find it helping.

I dont think there is a need for installing SATA controller driver via F6 routine while installing windows os. As far as i am aware motherboard's integrated SATA controller should do their job and bios should detect your hard drive without any such issue. Since you have mentioned that your system was not loading when you connected your drive to SATA2_0 connector. I will suggest you to connect it to SATA0 connector and check out if it is getting recognized after that. You should also make sure that bios is set to its default setting and there is nothing wrong with power & data cables which make connection form disk to motherboard's connectors.

Thanks for your suggestions, i have finally solved the issue. There was something wrong with the drive because of which it was not getting recognized. After trying out number of solution and get tired of it i simply got my drive checked and found that it was faulty. I have now installed new drive in my system and have installed Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit without any further issues.