Thread: How to configure shadow copy storage?

How to configure shadow copy storage?

Today when I started my Vista Ultimate laptop and checked the Event logs, I found this error listed: "The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit." In order to fix this, I ran the Disk Cleanup Utility and deleted Shadow copies. After the process completed, I found my C drive is just 26GB.

Something went wrong I guess. Can anyone please tell me how can I get rid of this error message and increase the shadow copy storage as well? Please help.

There use to be a command line utility called “vssadmin” that controls the Shadow Storage. So you need to do some work with vssadmin. So go to Start, type CMD in the start field, right click Command Prompt and select “Run as Administrator.” Now in the opened command prompt type “vssadmin /?” without quotes. This will bring up the list of amount of shadow storage allocated and used.

If you want to change the size, then you will need to do it from the following registry key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\Cfg. Here you will get DiskPercent value. Just double click the same and change the default setting of 15 to the percent you want.

Re: How to configure shadow copy storage?

You might want to look at TimeTraveler

This is a Windows Explorer plug-in. It provides you with a GUI to setup Volume Shadow Copy storage. TimeTraveler inserts a timeline into Windows Explorer. It provides easy access to previous versions of files and folders on all Editions of Vista. Move the time cursor along the timeline to view, compare or restore files or folders from a prior point in time. TimeTraveler lets you manage and schedule points in time (Volume Shadow Copies).