Thread: Windows Update Error Code: 80070424

Windows Update Error Code: 80070424

PROBLEM -

I need a little help with my Windows Update.

On the 25th of October, the update was fine and everything. Now, when I went to go update on the 31st it said the 25th was the LAST day it auto-update on! I went "WTF" so I decided to manually check for the updates but I did not expect a slap to my face with a smooching red error code: 80070424 (screenshot of the error).

I've tried many solutions but none seems to work; at this point my brain has literally crashed due to many fail attempts at trying to find a possible fix for my Windows Update. I supposed my moral is decreasing and entering into a pessimistic stage of my PC.

My OS is Windows Vista Premium 64 bit, and no all the programs I currently have were installed before the 25th but Comodo Internet Security (which I uninstalled to check if it was the culprit but it wasn't; oh I also checked Comodo Memory Firewall but it wasn't the problem either) was on the day that Update failed and gave error code 80070424.

Yes, I've also tried to do a system repair AND restore but none of them even worked strangely. :/ Made another user account to check if Windows Update works but it returned the same code error. Oh and could someone check my HiJackThis log and check my system "stuff?" Not sure why I'm getting that many files missing errors.*

SOLUTIONS -

1) REGSVR32 %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL - confirmation box succeeded but it did not fix my Windows Update problem.
    2) I've checked to see if my BiTS was correctly configured and everything of the sort and they are correctly configured without my intervention - works but it did not fix my Windows Update problem.
    3) The BiTs restore tool thing, the one that repairs if it's corrupted or something - it said it's not needed currently so I'm assuming my files for Windows Update/BiTs aren't damaged in any way.
    4) regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll - confirmation box succeeded but it did not fix my Windows Update problem.
    5) Regsvr32 QMGR.DLL - I'm suspecting this is the cause of my Windows Update not working properly as it returns a confirmation box that it was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not founded with "Make sure that "'QMGR.DLL'" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."
    6)

* Click on Start -> Run
    * and paste the command below and enter

%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL
    This line use to reregistering WUAUENG.DLL in window.

* You are done! Launch your windows update again, you should be able to perform update now. <-- this solution does not work at all, given me errors of a register binary for the REGSVR32.exe and no association part with WUAUENG.DLL.

7) windows update error 8E5E0442 - TechNet Forums - the second post by Ronnie Vernon MVP works but it does NOT solve my problem at all either.**

8) Ran 3 antivirus scans (at different times) on thorough mode and found nothing. Used Malwarebyte's, Spyware Terminator, Ad-Aware, and SUPERANtispyware, and found zip.***

That's ALL the solutions I have tried but it still gives me the same blasted error code; my last resort for this problem is a reformat which I do not want at all since I have yet to invest in an HD that isn't part of the PC (not sure of the correct terminology). Well if anyone needs screenshots of the problems I'm getting I'll gladly post them.

ASTERICKS LEGEND -

*I used CCleaner to remove registry errors which is unwise I would believe since if I'm not comfortable in editing my register on my own why should a problem do so itself then? That's what I asked myself so I have ceased to use CCleaner any longer other than for clearing up cache and stuff like that, lol.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **I'm also sorry if it's against the TOS or the rules to link to other websites but I have yet to look up the rules except knowing the proper etiquette on all forums. Excuse my ignorance. This solution also wiped my update history list away so on my screenshot you'll probably see the two "Never" word.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ***Oh, and my surfing habits are basically this: Check emails and never clicking on a link, play Urban Terror, go on youtube, and this forum. That's basically all I do so I'm not entirely sure what I have really done but if it matters I used Wubi to install Ubuntu on my PC for dual-boot and I'm a bit more riskier on Linux so could that perhaps have affected my Vista partition?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Windows Update Error Code: 80070424

In order to fix Error : 0×80070424 just to start , click on Run and type "%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL" without quotes and hit enter. Just make sure that you are logged in as admin, the above command will re-register WUAUENG.DLL in window and you should not get the same error again.

I have tried following the above solution but it doesn't appears to be working out for me. I have ran that command but i am getting this error message:
    "The module "C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WUAUENG.DLL" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005."
    Any ideas what might be wrong?

I had same issue some days ago and above solution had help me out. I don't know why you are getting above error message, anyways just go to control panel > user accounts and turn (UAC) off and try running the same command and see if you are getting any luck with it., best of luck.

I just rebooted my system after trying out the above command and things started working fine,Thank you!!

Disabling UAC and rebooting also cured it for me. Thanks for posting this fix!

Quote Originally Posted by navyjax2 View Post
    Disabling UAC and rebooting also cured it for me. Thanks for posting this fix!
    It did not work for me. I tried all the steps in this thread with no results.

hrere's the error message that i'm getting
    wupdate-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by plguay View Post
    hrere's the error message that i'm getting
    wupdate-jpg
    Before i suggest you something about the same can you just check out the below services and see if they are enabled and running:
    • Windows Update - “Automatic”
    • Cryptographic - “Automatic l"
    • Background Intelligence transfer service - "Automatic"

just check it out and then let me know what you are getting.

They are running. Here's a list of all the services:

services.txt

They are running. Here's a list of all the services:

services.txt
    The other possible things that you should check out are as followed:

SFC scan was performed with no difference.
    Ran Fixit with no difference.
    downloaded "MicrosoftFixit.wu.RNP.78260201792525967.1.2.Run.exe" and executed it. Strange, nothing happened. It didn't appear to run. downloaded it several times and still it didn't appear to run. the problem still exists.

SFC scan was performed with no difference.
    Ran Fixit with no difference.
    downloaded "MicrosoftFixit.wu.RNP.78260201792525967.1.2.Run.exe" and executed it. Strange, nothing happened. It didn't appear to run. downloaded it several times and still it didn't appear to run. the problem still exists.
    I don't know why these solutions are not working out for you anyways i have checked out for the same and have found some people mentioning that they were able to fix the issue after updating the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, so if you want then even you can give it a try and check out if it is helping you out as well or not.

If you can't run an .exe file, that sounds more like a virus or adware/malware at work. I would make sure your antivirus is up to date and scan, as well as downloading Spybot and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and run those, just to see if it makes a difference and allows you to register the dlls and/or run the .exe.

Here's what I did to fix the problem:
    1. Stopped WuAuServ
    2. Renamed folder "SoftwareDistribution" to "sdold"
    3. started WuAuServ
    4. Launched WindowsUpdate

windows-update-jpg
    wu-finish-jpg

Thanks for your help!