Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

I messed up Vista. Won't boot. Windows boot manager error.

Vista Setup and Install

Old 23-09-2008

I messed up Vista. Won't boot. Windows boot manager error.

I am running Windows Vista 64 bit on my HP Pavilion laptop that has a recovery partition for drivers and operating system. I was trying to dual boot Vista and linux on this laptop and where everything messed up very badly. The issues that I am facing is not that Vista is not able to boot at all. I am getting a error screen of Windows Boot Manager which tells me that \windows\system32\winload.exe can't be found. Can anyone help.

Old 24-09-2008

Re: I messed up Vista. Won't boot. Windows boot manager error.

Have you tried to use Knoppix? Knoppix is a distribution of GNU / Linux based on Debian and uses default KDE although the boot menu and with it you can specify the type to use GUI. The latest version of Knoppix includes the KDE desktop environment with Compiz Fusion, and battery packs for all kinds of tasks, among which Iceweasel and Icedove (optimized versions of Firefox and Thunderbird), the office suite OpenOffice and VirtualBox.
Old 28-09-2008

You can try to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista such as:
  • A master boot record (MBR)
  • A boot sector
  • A Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store
When you are troubleshooting startup issues by using the Windows RE, you should first try the Startup Repair option in the System Recovery Options dialog box. If the Startup Repair option does not resolve the issue, or if you must troubleshoot more steps manually, use the Bootrec.exe tool. More information here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Setup and Install
Tags: