Thread: No operating systems in System recovery options

No operating systems in System recovery options

I had started encountering blue screen of death on my system running on windows Vista Home premium. I have decided to reinstall Vista but after booting from vista dvd and choosing language when i am clicking on "Repair Windows" then i am not able to see Vista Home premium in "System Recovery Options" box. Don't know whats wrong and i am not able to make out what might be causing this. Help regrading this will be appreciated, Thanks in advance!!

Re: No operating systems in System recovery options

I think there might be something wrong with your Hard drive, i am not sure but you should better test it out. If you want then you can use Seagate diagnostic software. I have been using the same , it will help you in finding out if there is anything wrong with your Hard drive. You can install it from here.

Hey SravanK you can also try running chkdsk from within the Drive's Properties Page and check out if there is anything wrong with them. You can follow below steps for running chkdsk:
    • Got to start Start > My computer > Right click on your hard drive > Select Properties > Click on Tools tab > Click on Check Now under Error checking section.
    • If you get a UAC prompt then enter the required details and click on start button.
    • Now if you get a message saying "Windows can't check this disk while it's use" then click on "schedule disk check" button for chkdsk.
    • Once you do that disk check process will get started next time you restart your computer. If there is anything wrong with file system then disk check process will let you know about it and will also try fixing it.

I have now ran disk check process and have tried using Seagate diagnostic software as well. Disk check process had found some issue with file system of D drive but it said that it has been fixed. Later when i ran diagnostic test using Seagate software then my drive was able to pass short test but in long test it returned 1% (LBA 6322184 1 error) and got froze. Does that mean my hard drive has turned faulty or there is something wrong with it? is there anything i can try to fix it further?

I guess your drive is turning faulty, to confirm the same you can try using D/L Maxtor's diagnostic software as well. If you get same response from your hard drive while running diagnostic then i guess its time to get new drive. I dont think there might be anything else that you will be able to try out further.

I am now having exactly the same issue as alitheas. My PC is a fresh home build about 1 year old. I've tried running the seatools software but it freezes on the long test and doesn't even start it. The hard drive is seagate (I think its a barracuda) 1Tb.

I would reheallly appreciate any advice.

[SOLVED]

I've just managed to fix a similar problem on a Vista PC.

Problem:
    When booting up, the system would get as far as the Vista progress bar and then restart before the login/splash screen would appear. Even in Safe Mode it'd do the same thing. Last Known Good Configuration did nothing. Safe Mode with Command Prompt would cause a restart as well. When booting from the Vista cd into the Vista Repair menu, it'd ask me to select an operating system, but none would be listed.

Solution:
    Disconnected all but the primary hard drive (SATA). Apparently Vista has some trouble with multiple hard drives, but I'm not sure whether this actually helped. Inserted the Vista CD and booted on that. Went into the Recovery menu. No operating system was listed. The important thing to note here is you can click Next without selecting an operating system. I'm not sure if it helped but I remembered that vista didn't natively support some motherboard RAID drivers. I jumped onto the mobo manufacturer's website, downloaded the RAID drivers and burned them to CD. I then selected to install them in the Vista Repair menu. The operating system still didn't appear but I clicked next anyway. Clicked Startup Repair, let that run for 10 mins and that fixed it. Rebooted normally and it all worked!

Hope this helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by scottydoo View Post
    [SOLVED]

The important thing to note here is you can click Next without selecting an operating system.
    scottydoo,

I'm pretty sure you just saved my life, I spent hours trying to figure out why my computer couldn't see the C:\ drive or it's operating system and never even noticed that you could bypass that step alltogother. I felt pretty blonde but I was finally able to run startup repair and my computer is running perfectly when I was just about ready to give it up for dead.

Thanks so much!

Winn1104

It’s nice to see that your issue is solved. I am having another solution I hope this will help someone else. Some day before I was facing same issue and then I went into the bios the hard disk drives are not there but that is expected as its raid. So I move into the raid controller they are locating mutually of my drives. I assume it’s worth point out within the loading screen I obtain a kernel error to be precise it’s an xc0000221 error file is missing or corrupt Delete and reconstruct the RAID array. It is supposed to fix the problem. Nevertheless, you will lose every your data.