Thread: Windows Media Player 11 won't play DVDs.

Windows Media Player 11 won't play DVDs.

As my title says i am having problems playing my DVDs in Windows Media Player 11. Earlier i was using Windows XP SP3 with WMP v10 and all my DVDs use to run fine. But after upgrading to Vista with WMP v11, none of them are working anymore. Whenever i try to play any DVD it tells me to check the screen resolution. What??? What is related or what happened to my screen resolution?

Along with the error it also use to have a help page URL which when clicked take me to the codec, video drivers, etc. as well as also suggests me to pay $15 for a Roxio DVD decoder. This is irritating. As far as i know on the same PC if i am able to play the same DVDs in Vlc Media Player then not WMP able to play it? If this is What Microsoft wants, thats fine, i switch to VLC Player.

Re: Windows Media Player 11 won't play DVDs.

Hello Spiritual, there is nothing like Windows Media Player 11 is not able to play DVDs. By the way can you just tell me what is your Windows Vista version are you using? Also what are the results of WMP's Help:About:Technical Support Information menu page about MPEG filters?

As far as cause of the problem is concerned, i guess there would be soem problem with the cable between the PC and the monitor. Can you tell me how is it connected (which cable type)? What video card do you have? What monitor do you have?