Thread: Some streaming video won't play - Windows Media Player - VISTA

Some streaming video won't play - Windows Media Player - VISTA

I use to streamn videos in Windows Media Player fine until i was using Windows XP. After upgrading it to Vista last week, i started facing some problems while doing the same. Many times i just can't receive streaming video from one particular site while some times it get an error message stating something about ".aspx not being the expected format".

I dont know what is it as this is the first time i am using Vista that also just a week old. Still i gave a try calling up my laptop customer care but they said it is not their problem. I tried searching web but yet the same problem. Hope someone here can help me out. Thank you.

Re: Some streaming video won't play - Windows Media Player - VISTA

Here ya go kids.....

3 months and 27 bottles of aspirin later I have the answer.

I recommend METHOD 3 as it is the least technical and time consuming. It worked like a charm!

Problem 1
    When you try to stream audio or video from Microsoft Windows Media Services, you may receive an error message that resembles the following in Microsoft Windows Media Player:
    The specified protocol is not supported.

Note: This problem does not occur when you play content that is stored on a hard disk drive.

Problem 2
    When you click the Network tab of the Windows Media Player Options menu, nothing happens.

Problem 3
    On the Windows Media Player Network tab, the "Streaming proxy settings" protocol listing is empty.

CAUSE
    This problem may occur if any one of the following conditions is true: The Wmnet...This problem may occur if any one of the following conditions is true:
    The Wmnetmgr.dll file is unregistered.

The Wmnetmgr.dll file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
    The Wmsdkns.xml file is corrupted.

The file is Windows Media Player's network namespace file.
    The Wmsdkns.xml file has incorrect permissions.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.

Method 1
    Register the Wmnetmgr.dll file by using an account that is in the Administrators group. At a command prompt, run the following command.
    regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll

Method 2
    Make sure that the user account that is using Windows Media Player has Modify permissions for the Wmsdkns.xml file.

Note In Windows Vista, the file is located in the C:\Users\Userame\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Media\11.0 folder. In Windows XP, the file is located in the C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Media\11.0 folder.

Method 3
    Delete the Wmsdkns.xml file. After you delete it, Windows Media Player will re-create the Wmsdkns.xml file.

MORE INFORMATION:
    Steps to reproduce the problem Unregister the Wmnetmgr.dll file by using an acco...Steps to reproduce the problem
    Unregister the Wmnetmgr.dll file by using an account that is in the Administrators group. At the command prompt, run the following command.
    regsvr32 /u wmnetmgr.dll

Make sure that the user account that is using Windows Media Player has Deny permissions for the Wmsdkns.xml file.
    Last edited by gorlin; 22-11-2008 at 04:43 AM. Reason: make it prettier...lol