Thread: Laptop crashed and Black Screen of Death

Laptop crashed and Black Screen of Death

Ok, so prob is that a week ago my laptop suddenly crashed

when i try to turn it on again, it boots up but then directs me to a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left.i dunno what happened i was just watching some movies.

so im asking for your help, i need a way to fix this pls.
    I tried following solutions:
    1. Take out battery and adapter, hold power button for atleast 60 seconds.
    2. Tried pressing F8 multiple times, but nothing appeared
    3. Tried the solution where you go into task manager during the black screen. But my system restarts everytime i press the ctrl+alt+del.

When my pc is off, it has this orange blinking light that blinks like every second. I dont know what that means, but does it have something to do with my laptop problem?

Does anyone have a possible solution?

re: Laptop crashed and Black Screen of Death

I would like to suggest you to perform the Known Good Configuration and after that let me know the issue, to do this you need go through the following steps. First reboot the system and after that while rebooting press or hold the F8 key when you see the “Please select the operating system to start”. Now while doing this you will get the windows advance option menu and under that choose the Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) and after that click on the next option. Now on the other windows select the select Microsoft Windows XP, and after that push ENTER.

re: Laptop crashed and Black Screen of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Wali View Post
    I would like to suggest you to perform the Known Good Configuration and after that let me know the issue, to do this you need go through the following steps. First reboot the system and after that while rebooting press or hold the F8 key when you see the “Please select the operating system to start”. Now while doing this you will get the windows advance option menu and under that choose the Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) and after that click on the next option. Now on the other windows select the select Microsoft Windows XP, and after that push ENTER.
    When i press F8, nothing appears
    I've tried this many times.
    Is it another key for windows vista?

Re: Laptop crashed and Black Screen of Death

Can you tell us whether it is a pc or a laptop? If it is a pc then what is its computer specifications? If it is a laptop then tell us the make or model of the laptop. You can try to boot into recovery console, and at the prompt type

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0
    <enter>

If you are having a single hard drive but if you have a multiboot system with more than one drive/parition, please post back.

Quote Originally Posted by expertz View Post
    Can you tell us whether it is a pc or a laptop? If it is a pc then what is its computer specifications? If it is a laptop then tell us the make or model of the laptop. You can try to boot into recovery console, and at the prompt type

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0
    <enter>

If you are having a single hard drive but if you have a multiboot system with more than one drive/parition, please post back.
    I have a laptop,
    It is GateWay Intel MD7820u laptop
    Is there a solution which i can fix somehow in the BIOS? if so,
    can you give me the steps

I am sure that one or more of your critical start up files may have become corrupted. You can insert your Windows Vista CD and do a startup repair. this won't wipe your computer, it just checks for problem files and reinstalls them as needed. If you have a Windows Vista installation disc:

1.Insert the installation disc.

2.Restart your computer.

Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

3.If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    I am sure that one or more of your critical start up files may have become corrupted. You can insert your Windows Vista CD and do a startup repair. this won't wipe your computer, it just checks for problem files and reinstalls them as needed. If you have a Windows Vista installation disc:

1.Insert the installation disc.

2.Restart your computer.

Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

3.If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.
    I used my cd and pressed the system repair,
    but it detected no problems.
    and i can't get into start because when i boot my laptop,
    it immediately goes into a black screen

It might be possibly an incorrect video driver installed? Improperly configured video driver using a screen resolution not supported by the screen? What happens when you boot the system in safe mode? If the system ends up with a black screen when booted in safe mode, your best option may be to reinstall vista.

Quote Originally Posted by james_911 View Post
    It might be possibly an incorrect video driver installed? Improperly configured video driver using a screen resolution not supported by the screen? What happens when you boot the system in safe mode? If the system ends up with a black screen when booted in safe mode, your best option may be to reinstall vista.
    I can't get into safe mode, nothing happens when i press f8.
    When i used my cd and tried system restore from a past time,
    there is still a black screen.. any thoughts?