Thread: Wireless Access is "Local Only" I can't connect to wireless connection

Wireless Access is "Local Only" I can't connect to wireless connec

HI, this is HP Pavilion tx2110us laptop running with Windows Vista. I went out carrying this laptop for three days and faced several problems with its wireless connectivity. I tried several troubleshooting but nothing helped. I never had this problem ever with my other laptops running XP.

Anyway, i also tried contacting HP Support for the same , after following their suggestion i found that the wireless connection on my laptop is not able to obtain the IP address and DNS server automatically. However when i put these addresses manually it works fine but that is ridiculous and annoying to do it every time.

Can anyone please tell me how can i make my laptop to obtain IP and DNS server automatically whenever i connect to wireless network. Hope somebody from here can help me fixing this?

re: Wireless Access is "Local Only" I can't connect to wireless connection

Hope you are not running both Windows wireless connection and an OEM wireless connection together on your system because if you run them together it will mess up the things. Furthermore you should also try to disable the IPv6 on the wireless connection, it may make some difference. Also make sure your security suites are not blocking any connection.

Even i had same problem with my Vista Dell laptop. After being on phone more than hour with dell guys finally i figured out that the problem was neither with Vista nor with the wireless network, but instead the problem was with Intel wireless adapter driver.

Just few days later Dell released a new driver, i updated the same on my laptop and since then i never had any problem so far. So hope you got what you need to do.

Thank you very much for your input Gonzo. Your post makes sense and based on that i called up HP and asked them if there is any such situation but those guys told me that the problem should be a hardware and I should ask for a change of laptop. As the laptop is still just 4 months old, it is under warranty. What you guys suggest? Should i change my laptop?

Unfortunately, I have a toshiba laptop running Vista as the OS and I'm encountering the same problems. I wish it were only a specific brand of system posing this issue but apparently it's vista instead!!! :(

This will also happen if you have Internet Connection Sharing turned on. Check all your network cards (wired and wireless). In the properties, see if Internet Connection Sharing is on. If it is....turn it off.

Re: Wireless Access is "Local Only" I can't connect to wireless connection

Here is the solution!!!

This just worked for me, and I have Vista. Connect to the network in question (although you will only be able to connect locally). Then right click internet icon in taskbar, and select connect to a network. Then right click the network which you are already connected to, and click status. Next properties. Then ensure IPv6 and IPv4 and both selected. Now for each of these select properties, and select "Obtain and IP Address Automatically" and "Obatin DNS server address Automatically". Ok, Ok and then close final window. Problem should now be solved! I would be curious to learn if this helps others, so please comment/ or send a mail if it does! (I created this account just to share this, so feedback would be great!).

Thanks so much for this. I has to work on my mother's laptop because she was playing around with it and I couldn't figure out why it would connect to the wireless router but not to the internet. I followed your instructions to the letter and everything is working fine now. Thanks so much for your instructions. It really helped!!!!

Stop and restart DHCP services and it will be ok

Thanks Bigman, this worked for me aswell.