Thread: Cannot Install DirectX

Cannot Install DirectX

I assembled a brand new computer and installed a Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit successfully without any problem. Now when I am trying to install DirectX,. It fails with an error message. I downloaded the DirectX setup from Microsoft Download Center, it passes the Genuine validation Check process successfully but still ends up saying:

'A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid.'

I tried restarting the system several times but yet no success. Isn’t it bit surprising as Microsoft’s own download is not able to install on MS own operating system? Any idea?

So did you tried what the error has suggested you? It tells something about cryptographic services; did you check if it is running properly? Click Start > type ‘services.msc’ > open services applet. If it is not enabled, double click and set it to Automatic. Also right click the same and select run as administrator as long as you are sure the file is legit.

Now try to install and see if you are able to install DirectX now.

Re: Cannot Install DirectX

Yeah, it surely sounds strange.Even i never heard any such thing. However, there would be some problem due to which you are getting the error, probably the CAB file might have got corrupted during download. I assume you're running DXWEBSETUP.EXE which downloads the files you need and installs them, right? I will suggest you to better try downloading the file setup file again. Also dont forget to clear your temp files before downloading the new one because if a corrupted CAB file is on your system possibly the new setup download may also get corrupt.

First delete if you can see anything listed in add and remove applet about DirectX and run disk cleanup. Make sure Temporary Files are checked and follow the prompts to delete said files.

Hope you are not getting the download from any third party sites because they always create such problem. Better try to download the installer from the MSFT site. The proper link is as follows:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...lang=en--Chuck WalbournSDE, XNA Developer ConnectionThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thanks for all your helps. By the way i already clearly mentioned in my post that i have downloaded the setup from Microsoft DOwnload Center, its exactly the link provided in the above post. I ran disc cleanup, remove temp files, tried installing from the new downloaded installer but still the same error.

Any more help please?

According to the error message mentioned above, probably the the .CAB files inside the package are corrupt, or the local system's Cryptographic service is misconfigured in some way. You should better try the DirectX Web installer as it ensures the problem is not due to corrupt files, unless you are actually having hardware failures (like a bad hard disk) causing this problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I already tried that also Scott, infact i have tried all types of installer but all result in the same. Either the installation gets failed or they give me immediate "install complete" message but actually it wont install. I also tried extracting the CAB files and viewed them ... they appear fine. I also checked the Crypto service again and it is working fine.

What now?

Ok then one thing is sure, neither the problem is with DX installer nor with MS Site. I am sure there is something seriously wrong with your system itself. and the one whom i suspect is your harddisk. Can you just post the log of Event Viewer. It will help us to analyze the problem or its cause properly.

Until then you should try clearing up your Temp files directory (%TEMP%) directory and your %WINDIR%\System32 or SysWow64\DirectX\WebSetup directory and retry the websetup.

Hey guys even i am in need of similar help. I recently bought a brand new HP Touchsmart PC with nvidia graphics card GeForce 9300M GS. Installed Windows Vista successfully but while trying to install DirectX 9 , it gives me the following error message:

"Setup has detected one or more DirectX component files are in use by an application. Please exit all applications before running DirectX setup again"

So far i tried downloading downloading directx9 from different locations, using the webinstaller, full package, the SDK, different versions but nothing helped. I have tried all suggestions mentioned above except deleting the files from system32 folder as it is bit scary for me deleting a system files. Nothing worked so far. Hope anyone here can help me out.

Hey guys, just go through the following steps to fix out the problem:
    • Navigate to \Windows\System32\directx\ or \Windows\SysWow64\directx if you have vista x64.
    • Click on "organise" file menu, then "folder and search options" then in the "View" tab check "show hidden files and folders" and then "ok"
    • websetup folder will be visible now. go in there and delete all contents.
    • run "dxwebsetup" again. and unless your unlucky enough to have a glitch in your download again, all should be fine.

After 2 days of searching the web my problem is solved. Thanks jupitersmoon