Thread: Troubleshoot CHKDSK to run on reboot

Troubleshoot CHKDSK to run on reboot

My hard drive was corrupted. I cannot run chkdsk at all. I had tried a number of ways to do that. I have some important data in it. It looks some application or virus is preventing chkdsk to run. But somehow after going through number of troubleshooting stuff I had managed to make that work properly. I want to share the steps here so that whoever is facing the same issue can try this out. First set a system restore point before doing this. Second click on Start > Run > Msconfig. In that go to Boot section. You can find two things there. The first is Boot Log and the second one is OS boot information. Restart your pc after choosing those options. After when your pc reboots go to C:\Windows. There you can find a file ntblog.txt. In this you can find a error saying the issue of chkdsk. This is mostly due to some drivers and you have to stop them from starting up. You will need to figure out and disable that through registry editor. Most drivers are located under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services or you can find the path by searching about the same on web. If you find that which is mostly a .sys file set the value to disabled(4). Now you can run chkdsk on reboot. It willl work.

re: Troubleshoot CHKDSK to run on reboot

Wow, thanks man! That worked like a charm. I've been unable to run Chkdsk for close to a year now because of this and I had not been able to find the driver that was causing the conflict. Amazingly enough I had the exact same driver (elrawdsk.sys) in my system that was causing the issue.

I'm also wondering if the performance on my pc will be a bit better now. I mean, if there is a driver in the way that is preventing certain Windows apps from direct access.

Again, many thanks. This has been driving me nuts for ages.

re: Troubleshoot CHKDSK to run on reboot

I found another option is to just reboot and boot into safe mode, loading only some minimally required drivers and services. This option works for me in a pinch when someone's paying me to fix their computer.