Windows Cannot Access The Specified Device, Path, Or File.
I do not know what I did to my system. But I am getting this weird error in my system. The error is WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIED DEVICE, PATH, OR FILE. YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE PERMISSIONS TO ACCESS THE ITEM. The error mostly appear when I try to open my CD ROM. First of all the CD files does not auto play. When I right click on them to open it, I cannot see the files inside it. I tried to check the same thing in safe mode. But the same error. I am in admin account and my cdrom was working fine. Last night I had just installed Windows updates that's all. I had removed Avast and added Quickheal in my computer. Will that affects the CD rom working.
Re: Windows Cannot Access The Specified Device, Path, Or File.
I had face the same error on Vista Home Basic. I got that error a number of time even when I try to launch a application on desktop. I tried number of things like disabling the antivirus, removing unwanted apps, creating a new user account, etc. But still the issue lies one and the same. I had run system restore and thing went normal. Does anyone knows the reason behind this error. Thanks.
Re: WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIED DEVICE, PATH, OR FILE.
Please follow the below steps and see if that corrects the issue:
1. Log on with an account with administrative privileges.
2. Open Start, Run, type control folders and press OK.
3. Click on the tab View, uncheck Use simple file sharing (recommended) and click OK.
4. Open Start, Run, type % SystemRoot% \ system32 \ GroupPolicy and click OK.
5. Select with the right mouse button a region free of the window will open.
6. Click Properties and select the tab Security.
7. Ensure that at least these users appear in that paragraph:
Administrators: Full Control.
SYSTEM: Full Control.
(Modify or create any of these users if they had the correct permissions or did not exist).
8. Click on OK.
9. Repeat steps 5 to 8 but by selecting with the right mouse button, each left hanging subfolders of the folder is open, typically are User and Machine.
10. Select the file Gpt.ini with the right mouse button.
11. Click on Properties and uncheck the Read Only (if it is enabled).
12. Click OK.
DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
AMD 64 x2 4800+
OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600
|Tags: error message, safe mode, windows explorer, windows vista|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Similar Threads for: "WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIED DEVICE, PATH, OR FILE."|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Windows cannot access the specified device path or file.||Janet.Kinman@gmail.com||Windows Server Help||14||03-05-2012 07:05 PM|
|Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item||green777||Operating Systems||22||03-05-2012 03:06 PM|
|Windows cannot access the specified device path or file||shadowplayer2||Operating Systems||4||18-03-2012 11:59 PM|
|windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item||gilsoffer1||Operating Systems||3||19-12-2010 07:57 AM|
|Windows cannot access the specified device path or file problem||Gilbert||Windows Server Help||5||25-01-2009 09:37 PM|