Thread: Can't copy anything from My Documents folder on older hard drive.

Can't copy anything from My Documents folder on older hard drive.

I am looking for some urgent help. I had a Windows XP desktop whose motherboard died two days ago. But as i already have a brand new desktop running on Windows Vista, i left that died PC as it is and removed its hard drive as it is containing several important datas.

Problem is when i copy the old hard drive on my new PC running with 500GB Hard Disk, it gets detect properly but am facing problems copying files from the older drive. I've had this drive in here for the last several months and have had no problems writing other files to this 'older' drive. Whenever i try copying the files, it gives me an error message saying:

"You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this file."

Let me tell you that the error occurs only while copying the files from "My Documents" folder. On this new system i am logged in as administrator. What could be the problem? How can I fix this so I can copy/backup my files in the My Documents folder? Somebody please help.

Re: Can't copy anything from My Documents folder on older hard drive.

Whenever you cannot a secondary hard drive with having operating system installed on it, it gives such problem and all these is because of Permissions. You need to take ownership first for the files you want to access. As of now that file is "owned" by the user account on XP system.

Hence to take the ownership of that particular file or folder, right click and go to properties of that folder, Click security tab, click Advanced option, now click on "Ownership" tab and click edit. No locate your current account name or type it in and select it. Check the box to allow this to propagate to all subfolders and containers, then click apply followed by OK.

Thats it. Now wait for few minutes to let the process completed. Once done, you can copy those files without any problem.

Is i possible that the folders are encrypted ? I believe this is an option presented to those who setup a password on their account after the OS is installed. I had my brother boot his system to a copy of Knoppix and move the files off onto a USB drive. He had quiet a few so I haven't heard if he was able to access them as file access permissions often follow the files.

You might try this first.

Thank you very much for the help Scott. That worked like a charm. Surprised I didn't think to look there first!

Help appreciated.

hello all, i had same case but in OS windows.
    are this steps will work for windows 7 or just for Vista ?