Thread: Double clicking a folder in Windows Explorer opens up a new window.

Double clicking a folder in Windows Explorer opens up a new window.

I am using Windows Vista since a year now but never had any problem until i installed Service Pack 1 two days. Since SP1 installation, whenever i click any folder in Windows Explorer it opens up in new New Window instead of opening right there. So far i have tried changing several settings and option but nothing seems to be working. The only way for me to prevent opening new window is by right clicking the folders and selecting "Browse" option.

Any idea what has went wrong after Service Pack installation or is it like this only in all service packs? Please help.

Re: Double clicking a folder in Windows Explorer opens up a new window.

Just try out this. Open Windows Explorer, go to Folder Options from the tools menu. Now under General tab check if the option called "open each folder in its own window" is not checked. If it is not checked, then this is the cause of opening new window every time you double click folder. Simply check mark the box and save. Better reboot the system to effect the changes.

Thank you very much for the help Hayworth. I tried out your suggest but that dint helped. I am not able to understand what exactly is causing the problem. May be if any of these "plugins" intercept the standard shell behavior, but the problem actually started after installing SP1.

Do you guys think there would be something in registry which might be causing the problem? Can someone tell me which registry values that might affect this double-click action?

Just try out the following, hope it helps. unzip it and double click it will set your registry values ion the open shell extension to open in the same window process (in most cases). Open in Same Window regkey

Guys,
    This problem has been driving me nuts for weeks now. I've cruised this and several other forums, and tried every damn "fix" out there. WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM (All updates applied). I've done registry edits, registered .dll files, changed folder option settings back and forth,*uninstalled software,*re-installed software,**etc, etc.. Ad*nauseam. I bumbled into something on one these forums, and

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

1. It is very easy to do
    2. Presumably SAFE (It comes from Microsoft)*
    3. I suggest you bookmark this site for future use. (I did, and plan on using it for some of my clients computers when having weird problems)
    Go to this web site: *http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/
    Then, in section 2 click on "Use desktop features, or open programs and files"
    In the window below will be a list of solutions.
    Simply "Run Now" the one called :Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically
    After running the "fixit" my problem of a new window opening all the time in Windows Explorer went away! Worked perfect!

Anyway, I hope this works for any of you guys too. I see that "some" of these other*solutions worked for some of you, but none of them worked for me until I ran the "FIXIT" program from Microsoft. There is also a ton of other AUTOMATIC FIXIT's on the site for various other computer problems. I hope they all work as well as this one did!

Good luck everyone.....
    Mark