Thread: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query

Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO laptop running with Windows Vista which is connected to a Wireless Network. Now the problem I am facing is many times my internet stops working suddenly on this laptop. Until yesterday whenever I use to run Network Diagnose it use to say that there is no problem but internet wont works.

Today when it stopped working an I ran Network diagnose, it gave me some message saying something about the filter query policy being changed and to check my firewall setting. As I am a newbie in Networking I have no idea what is it related to but I can understand it is something about firewall issues. Hence I turned off my firewall to see if the problem disappears but nope, it still exists.

Can anyone please help me out fixing the issue? Many thanks.

Can you tell me what your system’s IP Address is? I am asking this because if your IP starts with 169, then your laptop has not gotten an IP from the DHCP server on the LAN or it would have lost it. The IP can be zero too, no IP period. Since it's not using a DHCP IP from a DHCP server on the LAN, then the machine has no connection to the Internet. However, the 169 IP will allow the machine to access other machines on the LAN, but it can't go to the Internet.

You should better check for the same by running Command Prompt and typing “IPconfig /all” command. If the 169 is there or it's zero, then you can try IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew to see if the machine will get a valid IP from the DHCP server. If the it will not release, then you may need to do a TCP/IP Stack reset. You should do it anyway just on GP.

Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query

I think i got some useful information which may help you with this. FYI in Vista there are two FW administration UI screens. One of these looks like the one we had in Windows XP and the other one is different and is the Advanced FW UI. What you need to do is go to Adv FW UI which is off of Control Panel. The icon looks like a brick wall. It will show you all the FW rules. So look for the filter name, and you can right-click the line and do what you need to do. Also look for anything concerning the VPN protocols. Hope it helps.

Hey guys,

I read this thread on many forums (you have been a busy chap haven't you, lol), and i had the same problem and SOLVED IT!

You have to check if it is a DNS problem, go ping a IP adres in command prompt, that worked for me, but when i tried to ping a website like google (ping www.google.com) it couldn't find it.

I went to opendns.com and followed their instructions for adding a alternative DNS for my browser, and now my "user query" problem is fixed!

Let me know if this does work for you as well!

Thanks Neo105! That worked a treat... I just added Open DNS servers into the IP properties and it worked straight away.

If anyone else needs the instructions the link is below;

Neo and W00dy, thank you, trying for 2 days to get though, and finally, the light. thanks again

there is no link, can you send it please as my girlfriend has the same issue.

thanks,

can you please send the link to my email address.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey2011 View Post
    there is no link, can you send it please as my girlfriend has the same issue.

thanks,

can you please send the link to my email address.
    What is the problem that your girlfriend facing, can you please specify it in details, so that we can help you out with proper solution. Which operating system is installed in her laptop/pc? Can you go to start type system restore,when it shows click on it, when it opens click next. Go to the point you want to restore to and follow the prompts. After doing it, reply back if the problem that you are facing is solved or not.

hi, i tried a restore but had no luck the same problem persisted. as in previous threads, her PC will show a connection to the router, when diagnosed no problem will show and time time a box appears saying "policy Query" or something and that Security Policy Settings are preventing the comp accessing the internet. she runs it on Vista and its her laptop. there is also a MAC in the household and this connects to the router & internet just fine. she never used to have a problem. i have put alot of hours into researching this and was just about to tell her to take it to a whizz kid in a shop who will inevitably charge. i would prefer to sort it myself obviously. i had a look at that open DNS server and questioned myself. if i change the IP Address on the Laptop, how would it connect to the IP Addres of the Router? then a little more research and this warning could ultimately come down to conflicting IP Addresses. my next step, when i see her was to have a look at the IP Address automatically set, if incorrect set up a Manual one and my theory tells me that this would work. i'm not an IT whizz by any means i know a fair bit and can research so i did and have done a fair bit of reading on this "error" that just appeared. anyway any answers that can be given or suggestions provided would be greatly recieved :)