Thread: Event Viewer will not start

Event Viewer will not start

Due to some reason Event Viewer is not working in my system. I had seen this for last two days and I am trying t make this work. But nothing has happened. Because of this issue I am not able find which service is running. I am also completely blank that how it actually stopped working. I had tried to start the same manually but nothing worked out. I am getting a error saying Error 5: Access is denied. Is this some kind of virus in my computer which is causing the issue. How it can be disabled just like that. I tried to find on Google for solution on this. Mostly it was listed that the issue occurs due to file permission. And you can fix the same by taking file ownership. I had tried to do that by resetting the system and taking permission to default. I had managed to make changes to all Folders in Windows but not able to unlock EtRTeventLog folder. I tried using unlocker but that also does not worked much. Does anyone has idea on the same. Any help on the same is greatly appreciated.

Re: Event Viewer will not start

Have a look on this link. The link offers you option to run System Recovery in Windows Vista. To some extent the issue also looks associated with virus. Try the following link first.
    Windows Vista Help What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista

Thanks but that did not worked out much. My issue mostly lies with the file permission thing. I cannot run Event Viewer. I tried a different steps but they are mostly for restoring the system. Is there anything more you can provide related to my issue.

The issue occured to me a long time before on my XP. I was not able to install SP1. The Event Viewer thing can also be caused due to corrupt Windows Update. A update might be causing the issue. The issue that I had seen a client system was corruption of ACL. ACL is Access Control List in Windows Registry. When I verified properly I found that there was nothing listed in registry related to ACL. The common issue is due to registry corruption which affect a number of software in your system. Along with Event Viewer there would be some more programs that might not be working well. Now to fix this thing there are some couple of things that you can try out. Before making any changes I will recommend you to backup your Windows registry. If any other error appears you can restore your system back by overwriting Windows Registry. The next thing after taking a backup of your Windows Registry you have to do is download SubInACL. Just click and download this. Run the setup and and then wait back for sometime. This file will help you to reset ACL.

Thanks for that solution. I had tested this utility and when I run the same it worked. But there was nothing on the screen. Still there is same issue with Event Viewer. I am a bit doubtful about this .exe file. It looks that it is not at all related to the issue that I had mentioned. Cannot use Event Log still.

Try to run Windows Update. Do that a number of time, and I am sure you will get the fix for that. Or the other option lies is with System Restore. You can try running the same to get your old settings back. This is a bit complicated option because if there are some errors this will generate more. It is recommended that you must backup of data before doing out this things.

The Event Viewer quit functioning on my machine running Vista Ultimate; any ideas as to why and how to fix it. A window comes up that states:

‘Service Event Log was not found on computer.’

Quote Originally Posted by Metrotek View Post
    The Event Viewer quit functioning on my machine running Vista Ultimate; any ideas as to why and how to fix it. A window comes up that states:

‘Service Event Log was not found on computer.’
    Please follow the below method to start the Event Viewer in your pc:
    1. Try to use msconfig to switch to safe mode boot
    2. Then boot to safe mode
    3. After that run cmd.exe as an administrator
    4. Then type "cd C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI"
    5. After that type "rename RtBackup RtBackup2"
    6. Then use msconfig to switch to normal boot mode
    7. Lastly reboot and check if event viewer is working fine.

It said access denied for the second command

It said access denied for the second command
    I found a solution for this problem where you need to rename or delete the following folder, which seems to work for some users who were facing similar kind of problem:

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup

Event Viewer will not start

What part should I rename?
    I wonder if I could repair Ultimate with my Home Premium disk?

How about if I create a partition, then load my Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS to that partition where I could get the files to repair all of these issues, or can I just use the Home Premium disk to repair Ultimate?

What part should I rename?
    I wonder if I could repair Ultimate with my Home Premium disk?

How about if I create a partition, then load my Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS to that partition where I could get the files to repair all of these issues, or can I just use the Home Premium disk to repair Ultimate?
    If you want to repair Vista Ultimate with Vista Home Premium disk then it usually depends on what and where you got your Home Premium disk from. Computer Manufacturers disks do not follow the info supplied in the next sentence. A Microsoft Vista DVD (not Dell, HP, etc). contains all Vista versions. The Product Key determines which Vista version gets installed.