Thread: Mouse/touchpad tapping--turn off

Mouse/touchpad tapping--turn off

I have a Toshiba laptop with Synaptics touchpad. Recently I installed Windows Vista on this laptop. Due to some reasons I want to turn off the tapping on mouse (or touchpad)? I tried to find out its settings in control panel but dint found it anywhere.

Is it possible to turn it off? If yes, please let me know how. Many thanks.

Re: Mouse/touchpad tapping--turn off

Enabling or disabling Mouse/touchpad tapping use to be under their properties. Did you checked the same? If not, open control panel, go to touchpad properties and you will find the option to turn off.

You can also do this from Devcie Manager. Click Start, type device manager and presee enter. The touchpad device can be disabled with a "disable" button on the Driver tab in the Properties of the touchpad device.

Thank you very much for the help guys. Hope you guys read properly that i am having Vista. The option you said was available in XP but i am not able to find them in Vista. In Control Panel under hardware/mouse there is no adjustment or turn-off option for tapping. I am not sure if it is not available in Vista or only on my computer. But what can i do now?

Well you need to do all those settings from device manager and control panel when you are using desktop. On most of the laptop it use to come pre built with function keys. Did you checked your Function keys? There may be some sort of Toshiba configuration centre software.

How to diable tapping-vista

Try these steps:

Control Panel
    Mouse
    Mouse Properties
    Device Settings
    Settings
    Tappings

check or uncheck the box "enable tapping"

You can also adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad here.

For Synaptics trackpads at least, turning off center tapping IS NOT AN OPTION, which the config panel makes quite clear:

"Tapping in the center of the TouchPad always produces a left click.

If you clear the Enable Tap Zones check box, then a tap anywhere on the TouchPad produces a left click."

In other words, you can choose between tapping "anywhere" and getting ONE EXTREMELY OBJECTIONABLE action (unwanted LEFT-CLICK), or you can fiddle with it and configure tapping the corners for up to four ADDITIONAL kinds of nonsense. But the one thing you CANNOT do is turn off UNWANTED LEFT-CLICK.

Yes, you can reduce OVERALL trackpad sensitivity, but you can't reduce TAP sensitivity relative to motion-control sensitivity. You will experience lots of unintended left-clicks, because the trackpad driver is very aggressively looking for them, in order to be "super helpful". Taps that weren't taps. Taps that didn't even involve lifting your finger.

I find this appalling -from an interface elegance standpoint but more importantly, from a LEGAL standpoint since a LEFT-CLICK means "DO THIS ACTION". Now, I might be in the minority (am I?) but I don't want my trackpad left-clicking "YES I WANT THAT" willy-nilly and without my consent, and thereby signing me up for a recurring $9.99/month charge, downloading a dangerous or annoying executable, or visiting a link I don't want.

The problem is probably hubris --Synaptics thinks that the patented (yes, PATENTED) diddly-crap they've added to trackpad behavior, is an "enhancement" and by definition an improvement that everybody wants. It's their baby. To them it's incomprehensible that some of us might not think their screaming spawn is cute and adorable, so the option to strangle the horrible thing isn't present in the config

I'm reminded of Muzak, aka "elevator music", that hideous un-music that is nerve-wracking (to some of us) because it is deliberately engineered to be as insipid as possible and therefore "non-objectionable". The one button elevator riders never see, is a "KILL THE MUZAK" button. The purveyors of Muzak assure their buyers that "everybody likes it". Bleccccchhhh!

I went crazy trying to fix this problem = It was very easy when I found out how == I have Vista in an HP laptop = Go to the tray at the bottom of the desktop on the right = There's a little icon = It looks like a little red box = When you run the pointer over it it says Synaptics Pointing Device = Click on it and uncheck tap to click = It's that simple ====== Matt