Thread: Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?

Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?

Cannot install Dungeon Keeper on my system. My computer is new Windows Vista PC.It is a nice widescreen laptop. I can play Dungeon Keeper on my PC it works well there. I had copied the same setup in Vista PC but the same is not working. I think I am not the only person who facing this issue. I hope to find a appropriate solution from others also who are trying to make this run on Windows Vista.

Re: Dungeon Keeper incompatible with Vista?

To be very frank this is not going to work in Vista. I had checked this a number of time. I had managed to install that, but nothing worked out. It is freezing too much. I had checked a number of options and made changes to many stuff. But nothing worked out. You can install the same on Windows XP Compatibility mode. The game does not work in Windows Vista.

I tried a number of thing. But nothing worked out. I had tried to configure the game through DosBox, also tried with DEP trick. But the game is not compatible at all. The installation sometime works if you are lucky but it will not be able to launch. The compatibility settings in Windows Vista is useless.

For me the game crashes instantly. I had installed the same and it work for few days. I have a 64Bit edition of Windows Vista. I am playing the same on lowest resolution. I had not installed that directly on Vista. I had installed Windows 98 on Virtual Machine. I am using Vmware here. It gives a temporary option to run older application and files. I was facing issue on XP also so I choose 98SE. The game worked well on that. I had find crash issue sometime, but somehow the game manage to work. So if you need this game you have to install Vmware and use a older Windows system. This game is not compatible with Vista at all. I even tried to locate a emulator that can run the game in Vista, but there is nothing available.

It is almost impossible to run Dungeon Keeper in Windows Vista. There are numerous ways but there are very less that work out. I had seen tons of responses but majority of them are useless. I had even tried to run the game on Windos 95 compatibility mode. I had seen many videos on Youtube which showed up people running the game on DOSBox. So It looks this is the only emulator left. While compared to DOSBox, using Vmware is a better option. It works without error if you install that on Windows XP under Windows 95 compatibility mode. If still the game crashes then you can download Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit. This offers a little bit of fixes that you can go for.

Just download and install Dosbox. Do not go for other solution. I will help you to run the game in easy way. You have to find a online tutorial that will allow you to tweak Dosbox for running Dungeon Keeper. There are detailed method listed and it comes with the game installation. There are number of changes you have do to make it work. To some extent DirectX is also responsible for the game crash.

tristan_list Guest

I did not succeed in running Keeper95. Instead, I opened DOSBox,
    mounted my dungeon keeper CD, and installed the dos version, all inside
    the emulator. This allowed me to run the dos version, under DOSBox, and
    it works fine.

If you don't have DOSBox, and you like your old games, consider getting
    it because it resolves pretty much all of these kinds of compatability
    issues by just generating the dos environment from scratch.

I own a 32Bit Windows Vista system. I had managed to make it work somehow. I have Vista system. The game faces issue due to rendering stuff. If you have a different GPU i your system, then the game might not perform well. You must install the game in admin mode and set the compatibility properly. Now to make the game work properly disable your pci gpu. You can do that from bios I think. You must rely on the onboard video memory and this game does not like additional gpu. The game lacks support to work with gpu's. Then for DirectX you need to downgrade the same. You need a old codec set also to make it work. All this thing has to be done manually.

I tried a numerous stuff with Dropbox. That did not worked out at all. I had also tried to the same on Virtual Machine, but still the issue is same. As you said I am trying to do the installation stuff in admin mode. The installation does not popped out any error. It was fine. But when I launch the game there is just a black screen. After a number of restart I do not gain anything in getting the game work fine. I love this game, and really sad to find that it does not work in Vista nor there is any new version available for this OS.

Just read above. The game works but you need to configure Vmware and setup XP in that. To make the game run properly you will need Application Comparability Toolkit. Once you are done with configuration setup you have to run this tool and run Fixes. I hope it still works today. You will just need to provide the .exe file of this game is mostly keeper95. Choose the file and then click on Next. The application will work on the compatibility fix for the game. If you see any screen for comparability stuff click on none and then next. Activate ForceDirectDrawEmulation. There is test run button which will tell you that how the game will perform. You can from here manage the color resolution. If you find a poor screen then right click on the game launcher and go on Compatibility section. From there click on 256 colors and setup the resolution at 640x480. Do the same process that I had mentioned above about Application Compatibility toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia_fer_sure View Post
    I can run the game no problem, but every time I do it's in the wrong colours and I can't seem to fix it. It's too distracting to play the game like this and it's driving me mad. Any ideas?
    Can you post a screenshot of the different colors that you are getting when playing the game? It might be related to the graphics driver, so have you tried updating your graphics driver to the latest? What is the computer specifications that you are having? Also, try to play the game in compatability mode.