Thread: TaskBar and Start menu not working

TaskBar and Start menu not working

I am using this Vista laptop since a year and it worked very fine. Dont know what went wrong since past week whenever i try to launch anything from Start Menu, the program just flashes for a second and disappears. I can see it in Task Manager process but wont appear on the screen, neither in task bar. No matter it is My computer or Control panel, if i launch it from Start Menu, it will not work.

Somebody suggested me to perform System Restore to fix it, well i did the same but yet the same result. Even 929637 hotfix is unable to fix the issue.

Any suggestions or helps will be appreciated?

Re: TaskBar and Start menu not working

Seems like any of your system file has got corrupted. Did you made any changes to the system recently like installing or uninstalling anything?

Anyways, just try repairing them by running the following command in Start > RUN:

sfc/scannow.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the help buddy by my Windows can't find the Run sfc/scannow in the run function.

Dman, whats wrong? Please help.

Make sure you ran the proper command. I have never seen any windows not able to run that command. Make sure you don’t put any space or anything extra like the quotes.

• First of all type CMD in start menu, right click the CMD on top and select Run as Administrator.
    • Now properly type: sfc/scannow

sfc /scannow - with a space between the "sfc" and the "/scannow".

The vista start menu is not working because yr msshsq.dll got corrupted...replace this file and start menu shall be working fyn..
    I think Most of the vista holders are having a recovery drive in which all the dll's and stuff are stored as backup..
    u should find that dll in the recovery drive (if u have it)..lets say its D..so u shall find msshsq.dll in 'D\windows\system32\msshsq.dll'...copy this file andd replace this with the file 'C\winows\system32\msshsq.dll'...
    If u dont have a recovery drive..then copy this msshsq.dll from a frns computer having vista in it and with start menu working...and replace with the 1 in yr computer...shud work fyn..
    u might have some problems regarding the adequate permissions to delete the msshsq.dll in C drive.I deleted it with the help of tune up shredder coz it earlier said that i dont have adequate permission to delete it.