Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

Vista Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-02-2008
Colin
 
Posts: n/a
Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

My PC tried to run its weekly backup tonight, but failed. This is the first
time this has happened - the last successful backup was on 4th February
2008.

Running Vista Home Premium, and I back up my C Drive files onto a second
internal hard drive.
This drive has two partitions (Z and F). Z is just used for backups, and
there is still 176GB free out of 238GB on the partition.

The error occurs only a minute or so into the backup attempt. The error
message that comes up is:

'The backup did not complete successfully.
An error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the
error:
The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)'

Googling the problem shows others have had it, but no definitive resolution
is given.

I have tried deleting the backup task from task manager, moving the existing
backup volumes into a temporary sub directory, and creating a whole new
shadow backup from scratch in the root of Z. However, even this fails with
the same error. I'm beginning to suspect a registry problem.

Is this a known Vista bug? Will I have to wait for SP1 to resolve it?

Thanks.

Colin






Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2008
Patrick C
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

I had some problems too, forgot what the error codes were but used a new
backup disk and it seemed to work, I don't know if the old disk is still
valid or not. I'm backing up to dvds, don't know about the internal drive.
Maybe backup can't handle some results properly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2008
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

Colin

That error code means that a file that initializes the component being
accessed is corrupt or missing.

Try running the System File Checker which will replace and missing or
corrupt system files.

Go to Start and type cmd.exe In the results, right click the cmd.exe
file and select the Run As Administrator option. In the command dialog, type
the following.

sfc /scannow

Press ENTER.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2008
Bob Bob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oop North, Uk
Posts: 5
Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

Run chkdsk on your C Drive. See if that solves the problem.
Right click your C Drive go to Properties>Tools and click the Check Now
button.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2008
Colin
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

Ronnie,

Ran SFC but it didn't find any integrity problems.

Restarted and tried backup again - same problem.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16-02-2008
HiFi
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

Hi Colin
I have exactly the same problem with the exception that I have never been
able to get Back Up to work. Did you resolve the issue? Are we all waiting
for the next/first SP?

I tried the System file Checker suggested by one of the other replies.
Twice the verification got to 86% and then erroed with "Windows Resource
Protection could not perform the requested operation."
Any further ideas. I'm especially miffed as I've just paid out for an
external HD to back up to..

BTW Does anyone know of good software to back up VISTA Home Premium that
will restore when required?

HIFI
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16-02-2008
Colin
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

HiFi,

Yes - I have managed to resolve it but it certainly wasn't easy.

It seems to be caused by an error in the registry which is somehow caused
when a user profile is removed. Keys are left in the registry which lack
Profile Image Paths. These then cause Restore & backup to fail with the
0x80070002 error.

This is what I did (don't attempt if you are not confident hacking the
registry):

Look at the keys under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

The longer value keys will have ProfileImagePath values with values such as
'C:\Users\Username' where Username is the name you have given a User
Profile.
However, you may have some keys in there which lack a ProfileImagePath value
altogether. These would seem to be erroneous.

I deleted two keys which did not have this value (save copies before you
attempt to delete them). Then when I retried Backup & Restore centre it
worked perfectly.

I have alerted this problem to the appropriate team in MS. It shouldn't
happen!

As for your SFC issue, that may be something different altogether. Doesn't
sound good though.....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19-03-2008
John Edwards
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

Colin

I've had the same problem, but from first trying to backup (to a new
external HD). I've checked the registry as you suggested, but can only find
my own username listed as a ProfileImagePath in the ProfileList
(unsurprisingly, as I had never set up any others - I use the PC as
Administrator) - with the exception of three, which end in: systemprofile,
LocalService and NetworkService: I presume these are OK.

I ran sfc and, although it completed, it said that it "found corrupt files
but was unable to fix some of them". It referred me to the CBS.Log (which I
had trouble getting access to!), but nothing in the huge volume there jumped
out at me (although I've never seen them before).

Any other thoughts?

John

"Colin" wrote:

> HiFi,
>
> Yes - I have managed to resolve it but it certainly wasn't easy.
>
> It seems to be caused by an error in the registry which is somehow caused
> when a user profile is removed. Keys are left in the registry which lack
> Profile Image Paths. These then cause Restore & backup to fail with the
> 0x80070002 error.
>
> This is what I did (don't attempt if you are not confident hacking the
> registry):
>
> Look at the keys under:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
>
> The longer value keys will have ProfileImagePath values with values such as
> 'C:\Users\Username' where Username is the name you have given a User
> Profile.
> However, you may have some keys in there which lack a ProfileImagePath value
> altogether. These would seem to be erroneous.
>
> I deleted two keys which did not have this value (save copies before you
> attempt to delete them). Then when I retried Backup & Restore centre it
> worked perfectly.
>
> I have alerted this problem to the appropriate team in MS. It shouldn't
> happen!
>
> As for your SFC issue, that may be something different altogether. Doesn't
> sound good though.....
>
> Colin
>
>
> "HiFi" <HiFi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3BBE6BC4-F5F5-482D-91F4-C96AC557B70D@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Hi Colin
> > I have exactly the same problem with the exception that I have never been
> > able to get Back Up to work. Did you resolve the issue? Are we all
> > waiting
> > for the next/first SP?
> >
> > I tried the System file Checker suggested by one of the other replies.
> > Twice the verification got to 86% and then erroed with "Windows Resource
> > Protection could not perform the requested operation."
> > Any further ideas. I'm especially miffed as I've just paid out for an
> > external HD to back up to..
> >
> > BTW Does anyone know of good software to back up VISTA Home Premium that
> > will restore when required?
> >
> > HIFI
> >
> > "Colin" wrote:
> >
> >> My PC tried to run its weekly backup tonight, but failed. This is the
> >> first
> >> time this has happened - the last successful backup was on 4th February
> >> 2008.
> >>
> >> Running Vista Home Premium, and I back up my C Drive files onto a second
> >> internal hard drive.
> >> This drive has two partitions (Z and F). Z is just used for backups, and
> >> there is still 176GB free out of 238GB on the partition.
> >>
> >> The error occurs only a minute or so into the backup attempt. The error
> >> message that comes up is:
> >>
> >> 'The backup did not complete successfully.
> >> An error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the
> >> error:
> >> The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)'
> >>
> >> Googling the problem shows others have had it, but no definitive
> >> resolution
> >> is given.
> >>
> >> I have tried deleting the backup task from task manager, moving the
> >> existing
> >> backup volumes into a temporary sub directory, and creating a whole new
> >> shadow backup from scratch in the root of Z. However, even this fails
> >> with
> >> the same error. I'm beginning to suspect a registry problem.
> >>
> >> Is this a known Vista bug? Will I have to wait for SP1 to resolve it?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24-04-2008
John Edwards
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

SUCCESS!!!!
I'm very pleased to report that the second attempt to Repair Install Vista
from the Medion Recovery Disc worked fine AND I have now successfully run a
backup! For information, the second time, having finally managed to delete
(from the FileRepository in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore) the newer nVidia
graphics drivers that always crash my PC, I ran it with UAC active, Windows
Features turned off along with Virus & Spyware protection. It took about 2
hours (without Windows Updates - I have that pleasure to come!), and so far,
everything except the Media Centre (and its remote control) seems to be
working as expected.
Many thanks for your patience and help - it was good to feel that I had
someone interested in seeing me through!

John

"Colin" wrote:

> HiFi,
>
> Yes - I have managed to resolve it but it certainly wasn't easy.
>
> It seems to be caused by an error in the registry which is somehow caused
> when a user profile is removed. Keys are left in the registry which lack
> Profile Image Paths. These then cause Restore & backup to fail with the
> 0x80070002 error.
>
> This is what I did (don't attempt if you are not confident hacking the
> registry):
>
> Look at the keys under:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
>
> The longer value keys will have ProfileImagePath values with values such as
> 'C:\Users\Username' where Username is the name you have given a User
> Profile.
> However, you may have some keys in there which lack a ProfileImagePath value
> altogether. These would seem to be erroneous.
>
> I deleted two keys which did not have this value (save copies before you
> attempt to delete them). Then when I retried Backup & Restore centre it
> worked perfectly.
>
> I have alerted this problem to the appropriate team in MS. It shouldn't
> happen!
>
> As for your SFC issue, that may be something different altogether. Doesn't
> sound good though.....
>
> Colin
>
>
> "HiFi" <HiFi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3BBE6BC4-F5F5-482D-91F4-C96AC557B70D@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Hi Colin
> > I have exactly the same problem with the exception that I have never been
> > able to get Back Up to work. Did you resolve the issue? Are we all
> > waiting
> > for the next/first SP?
> >
> > I tried the System file Checker suggested by one of the other replies.
> > Twice the verification got to 86% and then erroed with "Windows Resource
> > Protection could not perform the requested operation."
> > Any further ideas. I'm especially miffed as I've just paid out for an
> > external HD to back up to..
> >
> > BTW Does anyone know of good software to back up VISTA Home Premium that
> > will restore when required?
> >
> > HIFI
> >
> > "Colin" wrote:
> >
> >> My PC tried to run its weekly backup tonight, but failed. This is the
> >> first
> >> time this has happened - the last successful backup was on 4th February
> >> 2008.
> >>
> >> Running Vista Home Premium, and I back up my C Drive files onto a second
> >> internal hard drive.
> >> This drive has two partitions (Z and F). Z is just used for backups, and
> >> there is still 176GB free out of 238GB on the partition.
> >>
> >> The error occurs only a minute or so into the backup attempt. The error
> >> message that comes up is:
> >>
> >> 'The backup did not complete successfully.
> >> An error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the
> >> error:
> >> The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)'
> >>
> >> Googling the problem shows others have had it, but no definitive
> >> resolution
> >> is given.
> >>
> >> I have tried deleting the backup task from task manager, moving the
> >> existing
> >> backup volumes into a temporary sub directory, and creating a whole new
> >> shadow backup from scratch in the root of Z. However, even this fails
> >> with
> >> the same error. I'm beginning to suspect a registry problem.
> >>
> >> Is this a known Vista bug? Will I have to wait for SP1 to resolve it?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30-04-2008
John Edwards
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

I wrote too soon - the problem has returned as I have carried on reinstating
things that were upset by the Repair Install; damn!
I hoped that System Restore would take me back to the good setup, but so far
it won't let me go back far enough - 'unidentified problem'.
I've just read that Safe Mode may allow me to overcome that - fingers crossed!

"John Edwards" wrote:

> SUCCESS!!!!
> I'm very pleased to report that the second attempt to Repair Install Vista
> from the Medion Recovery Disc worked fine AND I have now successfully run a
> backup! For information, the second time, having finally managed to delete
> (from the FileRepository in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore) the newer nVidia
> graphics drivers that always crash my PC, I ran it with UAC active, Windows
> Features turned off along with Virus & Spyware protection. It took about 2
> hours (without Windows Updates - I have that pleasure to come!), and so far,
> everything except the Media Centre (and its remote control) seems to be
> working as expected.
> Many thanks for your patience and help - it was good to feel that I had
> someone interested in seeing me through!
>
> John
>
> "Colin" wrote:
>
> > HiFi,
> >
> > Yes - I have managed to resolve it but it certainly wasn't easy.
> >
> > It seems to be caused by an error in the registry which is somehow caused
> > when a user profile is removed. Keys are left in the registry which lack
> > Profile Image Paths. These then cause Restore & backup to fail with the
> > 0x80070002 error.
> >
> > This is what I did (don't attempt if you are not confident hacking the
> > registry):
> >
> > Look at the keys under:
> >
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
> >
> > The longer value keys will have ProfileImagePath values with values such as
> > 'C:\Users\Username' where Username is the name you have given a User
> > Profile.
> > However, you may have some keys in there which lack a ProfileImagePath value
> > altogether. These would seem to be erroneous.
> >
> > I deleted two keys which did not have this value (save copies before you
> > attempt to delete them). Then when I retried Backup & Restore centre it
> > worked perfectly.
> >
> > I have alerted this problem to the appropriate team in MS. It shouldn't
> > happen!
> >
> > As for your SFC issue, that may be something different altogether. Doesn't
> > sound good though.....
> >
> > Colin
> >
> >
> > "HiFi" <HiFi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:3BBE6BC4-F5F5-482D-91F4-C96AC557B70D@microsoft.com...
> > >
> > > Hi Colin
> > > I have exactly the same problem with the exception that I have never been
> > > able to get Back Up to work. Did you resolve the issue? Are we all
> > > waiting
> > > for the next/first SP?
> > >
> > > I tried the System file Checker suggested by one of the other replies.
> > > Twice the verification got to 86% and then erroed with "Windows Resource
> > > Protection could not perform the requested operation."
> > > Any further ideas. I'm especially miffed as I've just paid out for an
> > > external HD to back up to..
> > >
> > > BTW Does anyone know of good software to back up VISTA Home Premium that
> > > will restore when required?
> > >
> > > HIFI
> > >
> > > "Colin" wrote:
> > >
> > >> My PC tried to run its weekly backup tonight, but failed. This is the
> > >> first
> > >> time this has happened - the last successful backup was on 4th February
> > >> 2008.
> > >>
> > >> Running Vista Home Premium, and I back up my C Drive files onto a second
> > >> internal hard drive.
> > >> This drive has two partitions (Z and F). Z is just used for backups, and
> > >> there is still 176GB free out of 238GB on the partition.
> > >>
> > >> The error occurs only a minute or so into the backup attempt. The error
> > >> message that comes up is:
> > >>
> > >> 'The backup did not complete successfully.
> > >> An error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the
> > >> error:
> > >> The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)'
> > >>
> > >> Googling the problem shows others have had it, but no definitive
> > >> resolution
> > >> is given.
> > >>
> > >> I have tried deleting the backup task from task manager, moving the
> > >> existing
> > >> backup volumes into a temporary sub directory, and creating a whole new
> > >> shadow backup from scratch in the root of Z. However, even this fails
> > >> with
> > >> the same error. I'm beginning to suspect a registry problem.
> > >>
> > >> Is this a known Vista bug? Will I have to wait for SP1 to resolve it?
> > >>
> > >> Thanks.
> > >>
> > >> Colin
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21-05-2008
John Edwards
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code

Well, after nearly another month of tearing my hair out (without Vista
backups) I seem to have stumbled upon the solution (fingers crossed). I was
having trouble using another piece of software caled vLite (which seems
potentially very useful for creating a Vista system recovery disc with SP1
'slipstreamed' in); I was repeatedly getting a blue screen (and reboot) which
mentioned a program called mfx.exe. I recognised this as Magic Folders -
which encrypts, scrambles and hides highly confidential folders and files.
When I uninstalled this program, not only did it allow vLite to run BUT on a
hunch I tried the Backup program AND IT WORKED!!!!!!! So it seems that this
was the rogue item that I had managed to reintroduce after my Repair Install
of Vista.
I hope this lasts - and allows some others to resolve this problem too.

"John Edwards" wrote:

> I wrote too soon - the problem has returned as I have carried on reinstating
> things that were upset by the Repair Install; damn!
> I hoped that System Restore would take me back to the good setup, but so far
> it won't let me go back far enough - 'unidentified problem'.
> I've just read that Safe Mode may allow me to overcome that - fingers crossed!
>
> "John Edwards" wrote:
>
> > SUCCESS!!!!
> > I'm very pleased to report that the second attempt to Repair Install Vista
> > from the Medion Recovery Disc worked fine AND I have now successfully run a
> > backup! For information, the second time, having finally managed to delete
> > (from the FileRepository in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore) the newer nVidia
> > graphics drivers that always crash my PC, I ran it with UAC active, Windows
> > Features turned off along with Virus & Spyware protection. It took about 2
> > hours (without Windows Updates - I have that pleasure to come!), and so far,
> > everything except the Media Centre (and its remote control) seems to be
> > working as expected.
> > Many thanks for your patience and help - it was good to feel that I had
> > someone interested in seeing me through!
> >
> > John
> >
> > "Colin" wrote:
> >
> > > HiFi,
> > >
> > > Yes - I have managed to resolve it but it certainly wasn't easy.
> > >
> > > It seems to be caused by an error in the registry which is somehow caused
> > > when a user profile is removed. Keys are left in the registry which lack
> > > Profile Image Paths. These then cause Restore & backup to fail with the
> > > 0x80070002 error.
> > >
> > > This is what I did (don't attempt if you are not confident hacking the
> > > registry):
> > >
> > > Look at the keys under:
> > >
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
> > >
> > > The longer value keys will have ProfileImagePath values with values such as
> > > 'C:\Users\Username' where Username is the name you have given a User
> > > Profile.
> > > However, you may have some keys in there which lack a ProfileImagePath value
> > > altogether. These would seem to be erroneous.
> > >
> > > I deleted two keys which did not have this value (save copies before you
> > > attempt to delete them). Then when I retried Backup & Restore centre it
> > > worked perfectly.
> > >
> > > I have alerted this problem to the appropriate team in MS. It shouldn't
> > > happen!
> > >
> > > As for your SFC issue, that may be something different altogether. Doesn't
> > > sound good though.....
> > >
> > > Colin
> > >
> > >
> > > "HiFi" <HiFi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:3BBE6BC4-F5F5-482D-91F4-C96AC557B70D@microsoft.com...
> > > >
> > > > Hi Colin
> > > > I have exactly the same problem with the exception that I have never been
> > > > able to get Back Up to work. Did you resolve the issue? Are we all
> > > > waiting
> > > > for the next/first SP?
> > > >
> > > > I tried the System file Checker suggested by one of the other replies.
> > > > Twice the verification got to 86% and then erroed with "Windows Resource
> > > > Protection could not perform the requested operation."
> > > > Any further ideas. I'm especially miffed as I've just paid out for an
> > > > external HD to back up to..
> > > >
> > > > BTW Does anyone know of good software to back up VISTA Home Premium that
> > > > will restore when required?
> > > >
> > > > HIFI
> > > >
> > > > "Colin" wrote:
> > > >
> > > >> My PC tried to run its weekly backup tonight, but failed. This is the
> > > >> first
> > > >> time this has happened - the last successful backup was on 4th February
> > > >> 2008.
> > > >>
> > > >> Running Vista Home Premium, and I back up my C Drive files onto a second
> > > >> internal hard drive.
> > > >> This drive has two partitions (Z and F). Z is just used for backups, and
> > > >> there is still 176GB free out of 238GB on the partition.
> > > >>
> > > >> The error occurs only a minute or so into the backup attempt. The error
> > > >> message that comes up is:
> > > >>
> > > >> 'The backup did not complete successfully.
> > > >> An error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the
> > > >> error:
> > > >> The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)'
> > > >>
> > > >> Googling the problem shows others have had it, but no definitive
> > > >> resolution
> > > >> is given.
> > > >>
> > > >> I have tried deleting the backup task from task manager, moving the
> > > >> existing
> > > >> backup volumes into a temporary sub directory, and creating a whole new
> > > >> shadow backup from scratch in the root of Z. However, even this fails
> > > >> with
> > > >> the same error. I'm beginning to suspect a registry problem.
> > > >>
> > > >> Is this a known Vista bug? Will I have to wait for SP1 to resolve it?
> > > >>
> > > >> Thanks.
> > > >>
> > > >> Colin
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31-05-2008
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
You should probably be careful, deleting files or removing programs might prove to be fatal in the end. Especially if one of the functions on Vista aren't working properly after having "fixed" the problem, it's probably worsened.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Tags: , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
windows vista backup error. Cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002) john0925 Operating Systems 2 25-05-2011 10:22 PM
Microsoft Update Website fails with Error Code 0x80070002 on Vista Lukas Windows Update 6 14-08-2009 08:54 AM
Windows Vista RTM Backup Error 0x80070002 CaspaR Vista Help 10 27-07-2008 11:35 PM
Vista backup error message: The system cannot find the file specified(0x80070002) Miambi Vista Help 1 31-05-2008 10:35 PM
Vista backup error 0x80070002 system cannot find the file specifie Learning to work with the Borg Vista Help 4 06-06-2007 12:09 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:07 AM.