Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to stop desktop icons moving in Vista

Vista Help

Old 03-02-2008

How to stop desktop icons moving in Vista

Hi, i am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I have several useful icons saved on the desktop sop that i can access all my required programs easily. But the problem is, i set these icons according to my choice every time and it gets changes in every 2 to 3 days. I set them on the right side of the desktop but they use to get mixed with other icons on the left side of the desktop in next 2 days. I dont know why but it is very irritating. Can anyone please tell me how can i lock the icons where they are set in Vista? Thank you.

Old 03-02-2008

Re: How to stop desktop icons moving in Vista

You can lock those icons by right clicking on desktop and selecting few options from the context menu. Here it is. Just right click on your desktop and make sure "Auto Arrange" and "Align to Grid" is checked under View. Also make sure that you sort the icons as per your choice.
Old 03-02-2008

There is an application called Wintidy. It is very good for Desktop Icon arrangement. I am using it since past few months and it works very fine Windows Vista. It itself remembers multiple layouts and restore them on demand. I think it will be very helpful for you. You can download the same from here.
Old 03-02-2008

Thank you very much for the help buddy. A very nice utility. Thank you for the tip! Added to my permanent tool-box along with a very few other utilities which actually do something useful. Most don't :)
Old 23-02-2011

thank you - this works just perfectly - running win vista on this PC and i also put it on the desktop running win 7

now if i can get iespell to work in ie 9 i am set
Old 23-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEW47 View Post
thank you - this works just perfectly - running win vista on this PC and i also put it on the desktop running win 7

now if i can get iespell to work in ie 9 i am set
You need to get the IE Add-In Support enabled for IeSpell? Just a thought - have a look in your Registry. Have you got something like:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8}]
C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\IESPELL\\IESPELL.DLL,
C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\IESPELL\\IESPELL.DLL,

IESPELL.DLL,207 is the 'hot' coloured icon - IESPELL.DLL,208 is the greyed icon. Perhaps changing the 'Icon' DLL to 207 will make the icon always 'hot'?? Or perhaps it may just change the colour and still not work??

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Vista > Vista Help
Tags: , , , , ,