Thread: System Icons Missing in Notification Area!!!

System Icons Missing in Notification Area!!!

Since I upgraded my XP to new Windows Vista, I noticed that many times my system icons use to get disappears suddenly from the Notifications Area. As per troubleshooting I tried customizing the View option from system properties but surprisingly all options were grayed out an unclickable. In this area I am only able to click is the Clock and nothing else.

I am not even able to click power, network icon, or volume icons. I have no idea what is wrong with the system. Can anyone please help me with this? Thank you.

RE: System Icons Missing in Notification Area!!!

Aren't you getting any arrow as well in your Notification are? It may occur if by default your system might be having ticked "hide inactive icons" option. If they are not being used, you don't see them. When exactly the problem started? Tried restoring system restore?

Hey guys, even i am having exactly same problem and you said i checked the options, the Auto Hide option is not checked or enabled. Also i dont have any arrow in the notification area. In my case as well all volume, Network, etcicons are grayed out. Furthermore, whenever i receive any mail or message, i dint even hear the Notification Sound though Sound is enabled in the system. Yeah, i have check marked the option for sound when new mail arrives, but still not working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: System Icons Missing in Notification Area!!!

There is only and the best easiest solution to get rid of this problem. Simply Restore your system to any earlier working restore point. I have been through this problem on my Vista laptop and System restore fixed the problem without doing anything else.

Seems like this is very well known problem in all Vista editions. Anyways, here is a working solution. Just go through the steps provided in the following article describing

How to Enable or Disable the Notification Area System Icons in Vista

Thank you very much for the help Daisyel. Tthe above worked on my machine (vista ultimate)

Appreciated.

Hey guys, here is what worked for me.

Click Start, go to Control Panel. Change the view to Classic View. Click Taskbar and Start Menu. Now click Notification Area tab. You will see the 2 boxes are blank but NOT greyed out. I just checked them and that's it. Everything working fine now.