Thread: 'UxSms' service won't start and has eliminated 'Windows Aero'

'UxSms' service won't start and has eliminated 'Windows Aero'

I have Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Aero has disappeared from the "color schemes." I've been though every troubleshooting menu, tech support, and all the tagged posts on this site and they've all led me to a service called "UxSms." Its titled "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager." I'm told from everyone that if I start it, Aero will return. Everytime I try starting the service I get the error "Windows could not start the Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager on Local Computer. Error 193: 0xc1"

If anyone has a solution to this I would be very greatful. If I don't find one soon I'm just going to bite the bullet and reinstall the entire OS...

CameronMcKinney Guest

RE: 'UxSms' service won't start and has eliminated 'Windows Aero'

NOXVJ,
    Have you made any progress in resolving this issue since your post? I am
    having the same problem, though the service returns Error 998: Invalid access
    to memory location. Thanks.
    Cameron

The computer started acting really strange right after that post. Within a couple of days, for whatever reason, not one of my programs would open. After bringing it to a tech I was just advised to reinstall Vista Ultimate. I did so and haven't had a problem since. I'm worried that I might end up in a cycle of having to go through that every so often, but the talk on the web is that it was the result of a bad windows update. If you don't get anywhere with it soon, do the necessary back up and reinstall your OS.

Best of luck