Thread: Windows Error Recovery Windows failed to start. A hardware or software change might be the cause.

Windows Error Recovery Windows failed to start. A hardware or software change might be the cause.

I have a HP dv2617 notebook running with Windows Vista 32bit operating system. This came pre-installed along with a recovery partition on my HDD. I use this laptop on a WiFi network which use to get dropped sometimes but get fixed by a single reboot every time. Yesterday it happened again. I restarted the system to fix the Wireless Connections drop out but this time when the system restarted i received the following error message on startup:

"Windows Error Recovery
    Windows failed to start. A hardware or software change might be the cause. If Windows files have been damaged, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. (Use the arrow keys tio highlight your choice.)
    1) Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
    2) Start Windows normally"

I restarted again but the error appeared again hence i thought i should finally try out the first option (Startup Repair) before the scenario even gets worse. While running the repair process i saw a white progress bar that says that "windows is loading files" which at the end of progression, hangs for about 30 seconds. After which, I get the green prgress bar that zips by multiple times with the Copyright Microsoft directly above it. Then after that screen, a window pops for about a millisecond, and then I get a blue screen with a nothing but the mouse arrow cursor.

After this i tried every option from the Boot Menu screen including Safe Mode, last Googd Known Configuration, etc but nothing works. Now another problem is i have several important files and data stored on the PC including Desktop and My Documents. Though i have the HP Recovery Disc,. i am afraid of running the same because i guess it will delete all those important files, right?

Can anyone please provide me some help in this situation please? Many thanks.

Re: Windows Error Recovery Windows failed to start. A hardware or software change might be the cause.

As far as i know when you run Startup Repair it use to take about 30 to 45 minutes. You should keep patience for the same. If it is talking more time that doesn't means there is some problem in the process until it crosses more than 1.5 hours. Secondly, if you run the recovery discs it will surely wipe out all your data because it restores the original Windows as it was when you purchased the notebook.

As far as taking backup is concerned i will suggest you to better download some Live CD and see if you are able to boot using the same. If yes, simply backup the files and data. Alternatively you can remove your hard drive from the laptop and try using the same as external USB drive (using enclosure) on another computer and backup. I'd say use a SUB to SATA adapter or similar to read your drive, a USB external drive as a destination, and the free edition of Macrium Reflect as software. Then you could proceed with more confidence with a recovery.See if it helps.